Query about dog food

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Query about dog food

Post by Spreckly »

I have a query regarding dog food. Our dogs have had several different makes in the past, but I now stick to a dry kibble, one which our vet recommended over eleven years since. Angel sometimes refuses it, particularly if we are away in the caravan or the weather is very hot. I used to buy the foil meats, giving her a small quantity to add to the kibble, but stopped for a while, until the last bout of food avoidance. So back to the foils. She is not impressed with her dry food being mixed with a small amount of water either.

I have read it before that you should not mix different types of food, ie kibble and moist, but wonder what other dog owners feel, please? I shall consult the vet when we next visit, which I hope will not be for months and months.

Liver failure has been attributed to dry kibble in some cases.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Query about dog food

Post by Trev62 »

As far as I understand adding canned or moist food to dry food is another way to increase the moisture content and enhance the flavor of the meal, my UK vet advised me to try this when my Border Terrier refused to eat, he also advised adding hot water to bring out the aroma of the flavouring in dry food but I am sure your vet will advise you what is best for your situation.

Our dogs are fed on dried food for their main meal but they often have an appetizer before hand of whatever is left from our evening meal, rice, pasta, chicken, pork, mince, potatoes, vegetables they have it all but their favourite is when we have a roast dinner as they both get their own Yorkshire puddings with gravy. We also buy chicken livers and gizzards which we boil up for them adding them and the stock to their dried food, last but not least they are also given bowl of small sprats every so often.

Moving into winter now they enjoy a bowl of porridge after their morning walk minus the cinnamon and apples of course!

I hope you get things sorted out.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Our young golden retriever, Mojo, is on a good quality kibble mixed with a good tinned & a bit of tripe now and again. I vary it every day as I dont think it's good for them to eat exactly the same food all the time. My older dog is on raw food (ready mixed frozen chunks) once a day & tinned (its by the same place that does the raw feed) once a day, I throw a few kibbles on there aswell as she likes to crunch them. She is 13 & she is thriving, her coat is lovely. A year ago I was struggling to get her to eat anything, she was losing weight, molting excessively, had suffered bouts of panceatitis, the raw food turned things around for her, it's easier for them to digest.
I'm rather wary about what vets recommend, I was pursuaded to buy a bag of H*lls kibble once & my dog wouldnt touch it so I tried to feed it to the wildlife but nothing would eat it (and it was freezing weather) makes you think!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have never fed my dogs on dried food. They have always only had a variety of raw meats.
I like to know exactly what I am putting in my dogs bowl and what they are eating. I don't eat processed food and have not given them to my dogs or cats. Also I wouldn't like to eat grape nuts day in and day out. How boring.
I think they say don't put other food stuffs with the dry, just in case your dog prefers the other type to theirs.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your replies. Trev - I shall not let Angel read your post, or she will be nagging for some tastier treats.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wendy wrote:I think they say don't put other food stuffs with the dry, just in case your dog prefers the other type to theirs.

You are as cynical as I am.

Pat much prefers dry to tinned food, so that's what he gets - from me - who knows what he catches for himself.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

)w(

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Eddie isn't keen on eating dry food on it's own. We always mix in a forkfull of tinned meat in gravy to moisten it and we add some chopped veg too (raw carrot, green beans etc)
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

It amazes me what some people feed their dogs. 10 yrs of looking after other people's dogs has been quite an eye opener. The majority who feed a dry food do add some wet food as well. One dog, a black Lab, who I have looked after for many years (belongs to my Vet) has only ever had dry food and not even a "posh" one. She is now heading for 12 and is fit and slim (wish I was!!!!). One dog I had a few years ago arrived with a huge box of food, mainly treats. She was quite over weight as well. I had got her for 5 weeks and when her owners came back they didn't believe it was the same dog. She had slimmed, actually had a waistline and was so much fitter. I didn't change her food (not for me to do) but cut right down on the treats and gave her 2 meals a day of her proper food. There seems to be a divide as to whether you feed once a day or twice. I am totally for twice, as it seems hell of a long time for the dog to go without food in between meals if only once.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have always fed twice as well.
But my Dave will only eat once, how strange

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I feed twice a day. Years ago both our GSD and Rough Collie would bring up small amounts of bile until we started them on breakfast and tea. I've started giving Angel Little Stars from Vet's Kitchen (I think), when we remember, just before bedtime, as again, some mornings she wakes us up with retching! Lovely.

I think I said in a previous mail that I weigh the food out, and she has lost weight, with the help of a brisk daily walk.