animal fat in new fivers

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

animal fat in new fivers

Post by saint-spoon »

An interesting article on the new fiver containing animal products. I was alerted to this by an old naval acquaintance, who, due to her stance on all things animal (she is a vegan)is now apparently refusing to accept this note in her change. It turns out that the disposable plastic carrier bags (another thread by Lord O' the Lane) also contain animal fat as do numerous other plastic items... food for thought (excuse the pun) for those opposed to the slaughter and use of animals and animal products.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: animal fat in new fivers

Post by Meanqueen »

I have read that they are going to make new £10 notes in the same way, so that will make it difficult for vegans. I don't like the idea very much, but I am not disciplined enough to be vegan.
Ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

from wikipedia

Stearic acid (/ˈstɪərɪk/ steer-ik, /ˈstɪ.æ.rɪk/ stee-arr-ik) is a saturated fatty acid with an 18-carbon chain and has the IUPAC name octadecanoic acid. It is a waxy solid and its chemical formula is C17H35CO2H. Its name comes from the Greek word στέαρ "stéar", which means tallow

Sources of stearic acid

Fats and oils rich in stearic acid are more abundant in animal fat (up to 30%) than in vegetable fat (typically <5%). The important exceptions are cocoa butter and shea butter, where the stearic acid content (as a triglyceride) is 28–45%
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hmmm...
Vegan is all very well, but I suspect things are more complicated than that.
If we live a modern lifestyle we have huge impact on the natural world. Even a simple lifestyle denies animals e.g. the use of the land we grow our veggies on.
And I suspect that most of the things we use are made without considering vegan principles.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Wonder how many vegans burn candles with stearic crystals in?
They were an ingredient to add to homemade candles. (in a candle making kit).
Not vegan or veggie so doesn't really bother me, but surprising that a synthetic alternative wasn't used.
As for Scotland saying theirs a veggie friendly, what are they using?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am not vegetarian, but I am quite surprised that animal products are used in £5 notes. Mind you, if they are leftover from the food industry and would otherwise be thrown away, then it seems a bit more justified.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwiz
Learner Laner

Post by Gwiz »

I'd just like to say that for those "Laners"who are having ethical difficulties with the new £5 note, in the spirit of friendship, I offer to buy all their new issue fivers for £3.50 each (less postage, of course)
Don't all rush now...... :-D
Graham.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very good Gwiz )t' )t'

I think there was a Forum Member a few years back who said they were absolutely, without any doubt whatsoever, never had any contact, brought anything, just 100% Vegan.

Have to say I can't see that myself, but everyone to their own !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

p.penn wrote:I am quite surprised that animal products are used in £5 notes

At the end of the day, after the stearic acid has been purified to use in other products, it won't have any other biological component to it. So not so much animal "by-product" but animal "source" might be a better way to describe it.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I was reading an article on the book of face earlier, Ok it was dubious source but it was interesting. The actual amount of animal residue would equate to less than the left over material from less than half a beef cow to produce every note in circulation. The outpouring of disgust however is surprising, more people had signed the petition to remove the animal content than had signed to stop the badger cull or ban the ivory trade in the UK. It must also be considered that the average paper fiver will have more animal fats in it if it has been handled by someone who has just eaten a burger.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

{cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

If people are unwilling to use the new five and soon to be released ten pound notes there will be a heavy demand for wheelbarrows so these people can wheel their one and two pound coins around with them to pay for things.

Any entrepreneurs out there who wish to start up a new business?? :-D

No offence intended to anyone but I have two wheel barrows for sale, any offers???
"Not all those who wander are lost"