Avian Flu!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Avian Flu!!

Post by KathJ »

Has anyone heard on the radio this morning about the Avian flu precautions? Apparently we have to keep our birds inside for the next 30 days. Not quite sure how I'm going to manage that and I'm sure some people with back garden birds won't have the facilities to do this. All a bit of a worry >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Avian Flu!!

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Please advise if you hear more , is it an area or general .
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Dead birds showing signs of the disease have been found in central Europe, not in the UK yet but I think France and Sweden were mentioned. The advise is to keep poultry away from wild birds as much as possible. The BBC website has more information.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Just looked up a uk gov avian flu .
It states that as DEFRA has announced a Prevention ZONE to protect poultry present in EUROPE .
From 6-12-16 to 06-01 2017 Type H5N8
It gives signs of illness in birds .
Zone covers all of ENGLAND .
Poultry keepers must NOW keep birds in house /separate from wild birds WHERE PRACTICABLE or keep separate from wild birds

Bottom line no garden rummaging for my flock for a month .......
There is going to be trouble in the flocks of Penelope and Red for sure .
interesting times a head.

Thanks for the heads up .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

For a start, the Defra rules don't apply to people with less than 50 birds.
Most of our runs are built to keep foxes out not sparrows. We don't crowd our birds together and keep so many that we don't notice when they are ill.

I wonder if keeping large flocks crowded together in sheds when they are used to going outside will just increase stress and make them more vulnerable to infection.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I think it is a case of protecting your girls from potential death.
One hen in contact with a pigeon/sparrow could kill it.
Not a stress related but an illness.

Not a number thing -obviously it would cost farmer /Government fortune if a cull happened . if it hits in an area they have decimated the wild life and poultry in surrounding area .
It does say where practical .
Practical is like reasonable , means different to those it effects.

Hopefully nothing will come from it all and it will disappear . If Europe gets closer then it will be even a bigger problem.
Safe rather then sorry I suppose .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hope you put disinfectant trays tyo walk into and out off when entering there runs and coops.
When foot and mouth hit I had bales of straw disinfectant and tarpaulin baths for lorries to run through and people to walk through getting to the vessels etc .
Bio security .

Penalties for breaching controls is up to 5,000 pounds on summary conviction and 3mths imprisonment per offence .....
Bob
mudshark
Lively Laner

Post by mudshark »

The potential for a penalty is a little scary, especially if a neighbour fancies reporting you - it does seem to apply to anyone with at least one chicken. I have a pen with a mesh roof so hoping that's OK - wild birds can't get to the drinker or feeder.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Having no ability to resist my girls' pleas (or should that be demands?) to be let out of their run, I've avoided going outside all day apart from to do a quick coop clean and top up of feeders and water. Not even a poo pick of their run which I shall regret tomorrow )loo(

It's going to be a long, long month.

Luckily they have enough space (they don't think so) and its a covered run so the wild birds can't get in. I am going to have to think about stuff for them to do over the next month, and they are going to get really fat as I have to distract them with treats to stop them from coming out when I open the door to get in. This is going to be a huge pain. What will happen after the end of the month?: And if its coinciding with the migratory period, what happens when migration starts again next spring/summer?

Latest update: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influ ... -situation
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

I am hoping i can keep mine in there 10metre run, just ordered some more 10x4 metre bird netting to make it more wild bird proof, this is the cheapest i could find if it helps anyone. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 6&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imagecapture screen
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Here they are enjoying the garden, there not going to be happy with me tomorrow when i don't open the run door.

Imagefree image hosting
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Powys

It looks a nice big space. Is the netting to go over the top?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

KarenE wrote:Hi Powys

It looks a nice big space. Is the netting to go over the top?

Yes and down the top sides as the mesh at the top has much wider gaps.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, Wales is ok , England has the restriction , pleas e do not put up pictures of your girls free ranging as my Flock are stuck inside .
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Bob, didn't know the restriction was just England and not Wales. We're right on the border, it goes down our lane but we're just on the England side. Makes me feel a bit happier though if they don't think the threat is in Wales. Just hope the wild birds know to turn round when they hit the border {rofwl} Think I've been ripped off with the bird netting though. I ordered some from that other well know site yesterday for twice that price. Oh well if it does the trick it's worth it!
Kath xx