Bird id please

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Bird id please

Post by jemberelli »

Please excuse the poor photo. I am very bad at identifying birds but saw this one today and thought it was beautiful but have no idea what it is. It was pecking away at the seed heads and even the dog barking didn't disturb it!

No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Bird id please

Post by Richard »

Hi

It's a Goldfinch, lovely birdies.

They love Teasel - Nyger Seed.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yep, as Richard says, it is a Goldfinch. We have several around at the moment, such beautiful colouring.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you both! What beautiful birds they are!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They are beautiful and you don't need expensive 'bird food', just leave a bit of wild 'not-lawn' and they come for the seeds.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have never seen one in my garden {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

My very overgrown veggie plot is proving very tasty at the moment but unfortunately next week it is being sorted out. Will try to figure out where I can put some feeders that will not cause the dog to bark more than he does now! We have a nesting box on the house and the birds are driving him beserk!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

We get loads of these around by us, there is a lot of military training land which is quite wild and good for nature I suppose. Lee-on-the Solent has the Browndown training area along part of the shore and you literally see two or three goldfinch per telephone wire during the summer. Anyway I had one that use to sit on my TV areal singing away for years but I never managed to get any of them down to feed in my garden. This year I have upped my number of feeders from three to ten or eleven in two areas of the garden and I had a flock of goldfinch hitting the sunflower hearts (sorry no pictures). I counted seven on a single feeder awaiting their turn at one point.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's good spoony.

I don't get a lot of them here, once in a while a couple will spend 3 / 4 days then they're off.

Interesting about the Training Area, one benefit of RSPB Dungeness is that it's next door to the Army Ranges which cover a very large area, so unless a bird gets in the way of the odd bullet, it's great landscape for them.
Both the Power Station plus the MOD allow the BTO's Ranger full access to these areas (as long as they're not training of course).

I seem to recall reading about the great Wildlife at the Tank Training Grounds near Swanage.

Saw a Redwing here yesterday though, really pleased.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, not sure but some of you bird watchers should post up avian bird flu not far off and what to look for . Richard in Kent and the Essex ports and coastal areas will catch it first I would expect , so Richard put your tin hat and climb the look out tower and report in.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

PS DONT PANIC MAINWEARING....
bBb
Richard

Post by Richard »

Will do Bob, lots of Channel hopping going on here - I've posted in the Chicken Keeping thread.

Richard )t' )t' )t'
steveindenmark
Learner Laner

Post by steveindenmark »

We get flocks of Goldfinches in our garden but none of our neighbours ever get them. They are particularly partial to sunflower seeds and we grow sunflowers as well as putting sunflower seeds out for the birds every day.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you leave grass long they come for the seed heads too. Untidy but worth it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
steveindenmark
Learner Laner

Post by steveindenmark »

They were here again today. :-D