Avian Flu!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Avian Flu!!

Post by Richard »

I guess it's the old better safe than sorry thing.

Seagulls are the main worry in Kent, especially nearer the coasts.
The BTO at Dungeness and whoever they are on the French side often notice tagged birds channel hopping backwards and forwards.

Then of course there are still birds migrating in, the Bewick's Swans arrived in Kent about a week ago after flying over from Siberia.

Who can tell, last time it all fizzled out. I'm surprised the Daily Express haven't come out with one of their infamous front pages saying humans are going to catch it and thousands will perish.

My point would be, what's the difference between Farmed Poultry and Garden Poultry - both have an outdoor life, both come into contact with wild birds.
In that sense Garden Poultry is as much risk as Farmed Birds.

We'll see.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Can anyone tell me whether it's direct contact with birds, or do you have to keep them away from droppings as well?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think I read that the droppings stay infectious for some time. Someone here posted a gov link
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi that was what I was thinking just keeping wild birds away may not safe the problem . If poo drops from the air it could effect them , that is why I was thinking if it was worth .
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

It is droppings as well. If an infected wild bird goes over and poops in the run then the girls are pecking around I think that's a big risk from what I've read!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

let us all hope for our flocks sake and the poor wild birds that it does not come to it.
Also is there a jab for protection against it . Would cost me a fortune .
Bob
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hi. Can anyone confirm the restriction is not in Wales. I kept my chickens in there run today and they were not happy, squawked at the run door most of the day...
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

No, it applies in England, Scotland and Wales. The only part of the UK that it doesn't - yesterday at least - is N Ireland. I'm sure I read that on DEFRA or maybe it was somewhere else.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone declaration (PDF, 157KB, 2 pages) was made by Defra on 6 December 2016. Declarations have also been made by the Scottish Government and Welsh Government. Based on veterinary assessment there are currently no plans to implement a Prevention Zone in Northern Ireland.

From the link on P1 of this thread.

But, as you say, it's to keep them from wild bird poo - and you can't (short of locking them in a shed). They do say keep the wild birds from getting the water & food.

It seems like an overreaction as far as backyard hens are concerned. If you have under 50 hens who will know. And if the wild birds get it anything you do will only affect you. Not like the commercial farms who rear in one country and then move them elsewhere for laying etc.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

And on the subject of wild bird droppings, the run or area where they are being kept has to be covered i.e. Bird droppings can't get through, so netting isn't enough - you'd have to use a tarp or something if your run hasn't got a solid roof. Netting fine for the sides though to keep the birds from flying in.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Powyswales wrote:Hi. Can anyone confirm the restriction is not in Wales. I kept my chickens in there run today and they were not happy, squawked at the run door most of the day...

Considering the size of the run, they have more space than most chickens - they will get used to the idea eventually