Waiting game.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Waiting game.

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm feeling proper exhausted, not because of physical activity, but because I am watching my old boy ginger Bugsy cat slowly starve to death. He is 20 and has stopped eating. I've taken him to the vet twice, he's had check ups and injections to give him a boost, but they have had little effect. The next step is to get blood tests, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route.

He is camped out on the living room table at the moment next to this computer. He has his bed, his food tray, and his litter box, he shows no signs of wanting to go anywhere else. He has two hot water bottles in his bedding which I keep changing. I have tried just about every food concoction to get him to eat. Human fish and meat, some warmed in the microwave. Several types of wet cat food. Milk and cream, rice pudding.

It's mentally draining. He seems in no obvious pain, sleeps a lot, and wants to be close to me. All I can do is wait.
Ilona
wendy

Re: Waiting game.

Post by wendy »

What a sad post.
You can only try Ilona, if he doesn't want to eat you cannot make him.
You are doing your best..... Gentle {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

{hug} you know you can do nothing, but can't help worrying
If he's 20 I would agree with no invasive treatment / tests
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} so sad when you see them like this

Mo wrote: {hug} you know you can do nothing, but can't help worrying
If he's 20 I would agree with no invasive treatment / tests

I would agree with that too.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Poor Bugsy Ilona, and an anxious time for you. My last cat, Sophie just stopped eating, despite trying different foods, and we made the sad one way trip with her.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Dear Ilona, what a sad time for you. Sending you a hug {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

There is nothing worse than watching a pet slowly deteriorate and not being able to do anything for them.

I have just come from my vet with my cat who is doing much what yours is. Mistie is only 8 and has just had blood tests done to see if there is a problem with her pancreas or kidneys. Get the results tomorrow so fingers crossed nothing too serious.

My thoughts are with you and your old boy who has done wonderfully well to reach the age that he has. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes, it's very hard, June. I hope they find what the problem is with Misty.

I have a young lady cat who has a blood disorder, she will be on tablets for life. She is doing well at the moment but won't have a full cats life.

Bugsy has three bowls of wet food and two of dry food next to his bed. He shows an interest when I bring something different out, has a few licks of it, then turns away. I try to encourage him but I can't force feed him. I don't want to let this go on for too long.
Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Meanqueen wrote:Yes, it's very hard, June. I hope they find what the problem is with Misty.

I have a young lady cat who has a blood disorder, she will be on tablets for life. She is doing well at the moment but won't have a full cats life.

Bugsy has three bowls of wet food and two of dry food next to his bed. He shows an interest when I bring something different out, has a few licks of it, then turns away. I try to encourage him but I can't force feed him. I don't want to let this go on for too long.
Ilona

This is exactly what she has been doing. She had 2 injections today and a tablet to stimulate her appetite and this has worked wonders, but of course may not last as this was the procedure last week and it worked for a while. Will have to show what the blood results are tomorrow.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I do hope poor little thing is comfortable and agree with advice from others.

What a grand age, but no consolation to seeing a close pet ill and fading.

Take care

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

He looked peaceful when I went to bed last night, curled up on his hot water bottles. I don't like to say this but I was thinking he might just go in his sleep. I had a restless night worrying about him. There was a surprise this morning, a poo in his litter box. Don't know how he did that, he has eaten so little. I cleared away most of the food from yesterday, and opened a new pouch. He showed some interest, licked the gravy off it. Now he is sleeping again.
Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww bless him
{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It's like being on a roller coaster, first I think Bugsy hasn't got long to live, then he perks up. I am wasting tons of money on food which he may or may not eat. Have to try everything.

This morning he was wide awake when I came down, telling me he wants food, but not fancying anything already out. I can see that he has had a lick at some of it. I opened a new pouch in front of him and he was immediately into it as I was breaking it up in the bowl.

A small overnight poo in the box. Now his hot water bottles have been refilled and he is lounging on them.

I have booked him in for a blood test tomorrow afternoon, still not sure whether to have it done. I don't mind the cost, if it says he has something very wrong with him, I don't want to put him through any invasive treatment. Decisions decisions.
Ilona
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

llona I think you need a big {hug} been there with my cat Billie. As long as there are no signs of discomfort what to do is just as your heading suggest.
Love Sandy xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi. I didn't get the blood tests done. He doesn't like going in the cat carrier and the car journey, and as long as he is eating we'll just carry on and see what happens next.

I have cut down on the different foods that I was offering, it might have been a bit over whelming for him to be confronted with six choices. He likes Felix senior mashed up, and tuna fish, so we'll stick with that. He sometimes sniffs it and turns away hoping for something else, but if I stand my ground and there is nothing else forthcoming, he will usually give in and eat what's in front of him.

He is getting quite soppy, I have to make time for cuddles, usually at night. He wants to lie across my left arm when I am sat at the computer, so that is a bit limiting. I change his hot water bottles three times a day so he doesn't get too cold.

After I am gone I'm going to come back to this earth as a much loved cat. :-D

Ilona