Avian flu

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Avian flu

Post by albertajune »

I didn't hear it myself but have just been told that it was on the news about Avian Flu. Apparently there is a new strain of it and all chickens, including back yard chickens have to be kept in enclosed runs. The rule is for 30days at the moment, which is to do with bird migration.
I have put my little Rosie in her little run which is covered but she is not a happy girl. Since being left on her own she has had the run of the garden and likes to see what is going on through my patio doors.
I will have to think of ways to keep her amused and busy.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Avian flu

Post by Mo »

There is another thread.
As I said there, I think it might be an over-reaction by the authorities. No evidence that it is present in the small bird population (it seems to be swans & geese they always talk about).
If it isn't our hens won't catch it, if it is in the sparrows and robins then anything we do won't stop it spreading, so do what you think is best for your hen. And keep an eye on the news.

Government updates & advice
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:As I said there, I think it might be an over-reaction by the authorities. No evidence that it is present in the small bird population (it seems to be swans & geese they always talk about)

I think prevention is better than cure in this case regardless of the negliable risk to your own - if the commercial flocks get infected, it is a financial disaster not to mention all the birds that have to be put down and tight restrictions on animal movement. Keeping them under cover and safe is a small price to pay
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

yes, the commercial flocks need to put biosecurity measures in place.
3 hens in a back garden will not increase that risk to commercial flocks any more or less than the sparrows and blackbirds, no one suggests caging them.

And often it's the commercial cross-border practices that spread disease in the first place
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

... you'll be amazed how many animals (and crops) kept by individuals are blamed for spread of pests and diseases even if they are not. I'd agree that some commercial flock management practices can be the source of major outbreaks
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

190,000 poultry killed in HOLLAND to prevent spread of Avian flu..
That is not a joke .
previously they killed all the creatures I think could be wrong at a park in England to stop a spread .
Bob
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Can I ask if any of you are letting your chooks free range? Feel so sorry for my poor little Rosie as she must be missing her spot under her favourite shrub.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Not when Practical . (They escape )
Should not . At moment not a outbreak . If there was in your area and found free ranging they maybe be culled . Locked up at least you may have a chance to plead mercy ?
Also depends on neighbours , will they report it . Also it was nationally broadcast .
Could plead ignorant , believable in my case .
Really I must not . My problem is the collar doves 15 eat the girls feed and now none about . Sit looking through the wire caging .
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

[quote="albertajune"]Can I ask if any of you are letting your chooks free range? Feel so sorry for my poor little Rosie as she must be missing her spot under her favourite shrub.[/quote
Like you, I only have 1 chicken left (Bertha) and I am not stopping her running round the garden. She gets quite stressed if I leave her shut in her run and at well turned 6 yrs old I want her happy.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Grannyof4 wrote:
albertajune wrote:Can I ask if any of you are letting your chooks free range? Feel so sorry for my poor little Rosie as she must be missing her spot under her favourite shrub.[/quote
Like you, I only have 1 chicken left (Bertha) and I am not stopping her running round the garden. She gets quite stressed if I leave her shut in her run and at well turned 6 yrs old I want her happy.

How I feel!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

It is a case of protecting your flock ,dare I say loved ones from risk , rather than spreading it about .
As said it is the eyes over the fence that would get you in trouble .
Still only 25 per cent done .
hate to think what may be on the 6th of jan as cannot see the threat going away too soon ,

I will be building a second gate into the run as they are to quick to stop .
Bob
Hoping all goes well with us all.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

How can 1 chicken in a fully enclosed garden spread anything. I don't go onto anyone else's property where there are hens. Also the wellies I wear on my property don't go anywhere else.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I'm looking at these measure as protecting my girls from catching anything from any wild birds rather than them spreading anything themselves. I'd hate not to have done my best to protect them if one of them should become ill. At least we know we'll have done what we can. I know it's really hard to keep them locked in but luckily we have quite a big run which we've made bird and bird poo proof (hopefully >fi< ) and since we've moved to our new house we haven't let them FR because it wasn't secure. I know it must be much much harder when they're used to being out because at our old house they'd mither to come out all the time. We can only do our best and what we feel is right for our girls >dum< Hopefully, it'll only be for another couple of weeks but to be honest I'm not sure what difference that will make!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I presume it's the birds migrating in for the winter that are the concern, by January we'll know if they've brought the flu with them.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This is the most recent news I've seen about the outbreak
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... ad-hungary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so it's still going strong over in Europe. I read some advice to chicken keepers in alotments, that if one hen catches this then all the hens in the area will be culled.
Does this mean if someone down the road lets their hens out & they get it, then my chooks which are shut in will also have to be culled? As it's not an airbourne disease I thought this wouldnt be the case.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant