Christmas TV!

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Christmas TV!

Post by KathJ »

Was looking at the Christmas TV book last night - not a lot to stop in for that's for sure >dum< The only thing I'll be catching as Last Tango in Halifax, even Christmas Day looked a bit rubbish. I remember the anticipation of getting the Christmas Radio Times when I was little and ringing everything I wanted to watch - 99% of it hadn't been on about 100 times already {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Christmas TV!

Post by albertajune »

No change then Kath. Christmas TV is usually not worth watching although I will watch whatever for company. I will watch last tango but haven't looked to see what else is on. )x3(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I seem to remember from my childhood that they wheeled out the same bunch of musicals, Half sixpence, sound of music, and so on. Then you had the never ending stream of x-mas specials, Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies, the black and white minstrels (would you get away with that now?). I seem to remember the final of mastermind always being on x-mas eve and everyone having to be quiet at a family gathering because my Aunty Margaret used to like trying to answer the questions.

To be honest I probably won't get much say on what goes on the box anyway, mrs Spoon, the kids and MIL will see to that.... there is always the other room in which to avoid the telly.
Bah Humbug
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I will be getting our (cheapie) TV magazine tomorrow. There always used to be a ballet on Boxing Day, which I looked forward to.

I expect The Great Escape will be on, yawn.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Please tell me when Last Tango is on, as I can't watch BBC iplayer any more without a licence. Is it a one off single programme or a new series? If it's one programme I might be able to go to a friends house to watch it, but I doubt they would like me round there over several weeks, ha ha.
Ilona
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

At least 'over' the period we will have Granchester , Strictly dancing, Singing in the rain and , yes I know it is old but it still makes me cry with laughter..The Good Life. I hope I shall be dancing and playing bingo and drinking christmas day after a good walk on the beach )x( )hic(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Catching up, enjoyed Granchester )t' Lots more to see when ever had the time!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

As you may know I don't have a TV, so it's catchup for me. Can't watch BBC iplayer, don't have a licence. Last night I watched three programmes back to back on Channel 4od, all about people getting married in unusual circumstances. It was quite fascinating.

Three old couples in their 70's and 80's, from how they met to the wedding itself. Three girls who were marrying men in prison, (USA) and three men who went looking for a partner in another country. There must be something odd about me because I could never do any of that. Still happily single, ha ha.

On a lighter note, I am watching the Likely Lads on yooootoooob. Anyone remember them? Still funny now after all this time. Who needs telly!

Ilona
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

We didn't really watch any TV over Christmas. I don't watch TV very much and my wife is into a variety of box sets which she can't watch on the TV because we only have freeview and not all the channels that seem to have become normal these days.

Even our freeview doesn't provide BBC channels any more for some reason but we haven't missed them if I'm honest.

One thing I always try to watch in between Christmas and New Year is the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. They are science lectures aim mainly at children so they are at about the level I can understand. I missed them this year but you can watch them on line I think.

Paul
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm surprised you can't get BBC.
I tend to just record quiz shows on my Humax to watch while eating. Countdown, EggHeads, Pointless, University C, Mastermind. Sit down with a mug of tea and quiz after dinner, usually have to watch it twice as I doze.

I forgot to record the Christmas lectures this year - always enjoy the children volunteering for experiments.
That link said
This year marks the 80th anniversary since the BBC first broadcast the Christmas Lectures on TV.
I didn't know TV had been going that long. Mind you so have I - almost, so it isn't that long really.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

It is a bit weird us no longer getting BBC channels. I think it might be the antenna but I can't be bothered to check it at the moment as TV is well down the list of priorities.

Paul
wendy

Post by wendy »

My 84 year old sister came to stay over Christmas.
Sooooo I have watched pointless etc. on the challenge channel so much.
I have lost the will to live. }hairout{

I did manage to see Lady in the Van with Maggie Smith ( yay ) as her friend said it was very good.

I am now catching up the things I recorded. I love Grantchester as well
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I thought the telly over Christmas was pretty dire. The highlight for me was To Walk Invisible, about the Bronte sisters and written and produced by Happpy Valley's Sally Wainwright. I am a huge Bronte fan and it was a marvellous production, it really was.

Missed all the big films, if there were any, and I couldn't see them on catch up on iplayer which was a real pity as I wanted to see the Penguins from Madagascar.

I watched as many of the A Christmas Carols as I could - love that film, it always means Christmas is here when I watch it.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

wendy wrote:Sooooo I have watched pointless etc. on the challenge channel so much.
I have lost the will to live. }hairout{

I have seen bits of Pointless. It's pretty Pointless really. >fi<
Ilona
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Just caught up with Call the midwife xmas episode, brilliant )like(