Forthcoming TV advertising

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Forthcoming TV advertising

Post by Richard »

Wait for it...

Saturday all the nicey nicey Christmas ads will be replaced with SALE SALE SALE telling us of all the things we can buy now and pay later for.

New Year will start the Holiday ads off.

After that, Valentines Day.

Retailers have probably moved Easter to 16th. April so they can take all our money for Mothers Day on 26th. March

Can we have a 'Do Nothing Sunday' where we all stay at home, don't spend any money and just relax.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Forthcoming TV advertising

Post by Trev62 »

One (of many) good things that come of not having TV reception, no advertising trying to sell you things you do not want or cannot afford :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank goodness I don't have a TV. More advertising is creeping onto the internet, making pages very slow to load. I know you can get blockers but I don't want to mess with my settings. While it's all running ok I'll leave it alone. Me trying to install something would only blow the darn thing up. {cry}

Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

This is something that find annoying but hate advertising anyway. Of course it is done with the knowledge that people will flock to those beckoning fingers.

The next thing to fill TV and magazin advertising will be a vast array of diets, exercise routines and CD's of the same. The idea is to to get that svelt body back (if you had one before Christmas)
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

We don't watch a lot of telly so we do not get exposed to a lot of advertising but the adverts that really get my goat are the lavish aspirational perfume adverts. How can you advertise a perfume through a medium where you cannot smell it. Bonkers.

The other advert that gets me very angry is oak furniture land. Where on earth -literally- are they getting all this oak. Why does it have to be oak. The kind of people buying this rubbish would know the difference between different woods and they will probably throw it out within 5 years because it will be out of fashion by then.

See, it has got me angry just thinking about it {mr.angry}

Paul
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

albertajune wrote:The next thing to fill TV and magazine advertising will be

.... credit cards and loans to pay for all the stuff bought in the silly sales, sigh

aman wrote:The other advert that gets me very angry is oak furniture land. Where on earth -literally- are they getting all this oak. Why does it have to be oak. The kind of people buying this rubbish would know the difference between different woods and they will probably throw it out within 5 years because it will be out of fashion by then

The thing about wood furniture is that it will come back into fashion at some point, whereas plastic, steel and glass won't. Another thing is carbon store - trees are great for removing carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and depositing it into the woody stem. And young trees remove more CO2 than older trees (they need to grow quickly to establish themselves) so I'm all for going back to wood furniture, sorry
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

Oak is not a fast growing species though.

Paul
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

aman wrote:Oak is not a fast growing species though.

Paul

true, but a furniture business would not be cutting every oak tree down but have a sustainable plan - read this blog by (click on link) .... Oak Furniture
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I don't watch loads of TV but really do get upset when there's something I'd like to watch on a commercial TV Channel.
I reckon 80% of my viewing is on BBC.

What I do is to record them, then fast forward when the ads come on.

Still annoying !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

Advertisers are getting wise to people watching on demand and fast forwarding through the commercial breaks.

You see a lot more programmes sponsored by companies now and there will also be a lot more product placement in the future.

I don't know if it is just me getting older and more discerning or the content is getting worse but I am finding less and less of interest on the TV and even things I used to watch religiously go unwatched.

If I lived on my own I wouldn't have a TV at all if I'm honest

Paul
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Richard wrote:I don't watch loads of TV but really do get upset when there's something I'd like to watch on a commercial TV Channel.
I reckon 80% of my viewing is on BBC.

What I do is to record them, then fast forward when the ads come on.

Still annoying !

Richard

me too! So annoying especially if I want to watch a film but there's nothing else on the tv or I have something else recording which I want to watch later }hairout{

aman wrote:I don't know if it is just me getting older and more discerning or the content is getting worse but I am finding less and less of interest on the TV and even things I used to watch religiously go unwatched.

If I lived on my own I wouldn't have a TV at all if I'm honest

I live on my own and find I have the TV on all the time (a silent house and listening to neighbours chatting or bumping about is unsettling) - when I'm not watching, it is a background noise (I find radio chatter gets on my nerves - I think it may be because it is geared up for people listening so how they talk is different)

As regards how much I spend watching .... probably gone up a notch or so more than when I was younger. I love films and have my favourite series - it's not uncommon for me to watch repeats but there has to be a respectable time gap so that I enjoy watching them again (and those episodes I hadn't enjoyed before just get deleted rather than watch again)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I have to say I like a lot of adverts. I know they are wildly disliked but I love the meerkat family, especially the christmas one. I love the spec…saver ads they really make me chuckle. It is nice to be able to move for a few minutes when watching a 2 hour programme and the ads give you the chance
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I don't like all the adverts but like Sandy have to admit to loving the meerkats ones and specsavers. If hubby were alive I would be pestering him to go on the site meerkats advertising so I could have one. Bless him he did do that twice so have a couple of the adults. He also bought me a keep on when the adverts were on with one of those on them. He did the daftest things for me.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Mrs B I got given safari and baby Oleg for being at a birth! Not a meerkat birth I might add.
I was a bit miffed this christmas as we had very few famous grouse ads.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/