Back to baking

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Back to baking

Post by albertajune »

I have been buying bread but have decided to go back to baking my own. Firstly for flavour and then for something to keep me busy. This morning I made 2 small loaves, 12 croissants and a share and tear loaf which is topped with cheese and cumin seeds. Smells so good in here.

I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Back to baking

Post by Mo »

I can't smell it - but it looks good.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

It all looks fantastic, June! I love baking but I'd have scoffed that lot in minutes flat, so I don't do it very often. I'm a bit jealous!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It looks very tempting, June. Did you use a mixer or a breadmaker, or do it the hard way?
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That all looks scrummy, love the smell of baking bread.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Spreckly wrote:It looks very tempting, June. Did you use a mixer or a breadmaker, or do it the hard way?

I mix by hand which I find very theraputic and I don't find it hard even though I have arthritis in my hand.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I would find it too difficult now, with my hands, June, but well done you!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Do you make the criossant dough by hand as well June? I wouldn't know where to start. They look delicious!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

KarenE wrote:Do you make the criossant dough by hand as well June? I wouldn't know where to start. They look delicious!

Yes, all by hand. I used to have a bread maker but I still preferred my own. As I have a problem standing for long, I mix in a very large bowl on my lap until it feels right and finish off on the work surface to give it that extra knead and stretch. Seems to work for me.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Looks absolutely delicious and you really cannot beat the taste and smell of home baked bread.

Well done for not using a bread maker. I find mixing by hand so much better, especially when it comes to knowing how much water to add. With a mixer you throw thing in and hope for the best. When kneading by hand get to know if the dough feels right and can add a little more water our flour out doesn't feel quite right.
Michael
GoldBerry
Learner Laner

Post by GoldBerry »

Nicely done! I've made bread for a while now but had to stop as my hands could no longer cope with it. Bread maker - I could never get it to work right. Now I have a mixer and I love it. I stopped baking anything at all for ages as I just couldn't work the dough. The kneading hook saves me a step!

I bake my bread in a Dutch oven, which I really like. The process isn't quite like making sourdough, but close-ish; it sits for 24 hours and the yeast develops a bit. I never got the hang of sourdough, feeding it daily was something I would systematically forget to do.

Anyone else do sourdough?