One advantage of snow..............

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Trev62
Legendary Laner

One advantage of snow..............

Post by Trev62 »

One advantage of all this snow we have had is the amount of birds that have invaded the garden. Against the white background their colours look absolutely stunning. Today alone we have been watching black and white woodpeckers, green woodpeckers, blackbirds and thrushes, sparrows, dunnocks, jays, blue, coal and great tits, chaffinches and a couple of lovely yellowhammers. Four buzzards, three ravens and a sparrow hawk also passed over today.

Only downside is the amount of chicken food they have been taking including the chickens treats of sunflower seeds, walnuts, sweetcorn, apples and blackberries! The jays love the acorns we collected in the autumn and watching them try and pick them up when they have frozen to the dishes is funny but they never give up until they free one of them.

Still all the birds have kept us amused with their antics on yet another cold day.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: One advantage of snow..............

Post by Mo »

I'm getting a lot of blackbirds & fieldfares (pigeons, jackdaws) coming for the windfall apples. I didn't pick them all this year (gave a lot away).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: One advantage of snow..............

Post by Richard »

Nice going Trev.

Same here, loads around my Feeders, well more than usual !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome