Backyard poultry keepers survey

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
cgomes
Learner Laner

Backyard poultry keepers survey

Post by cgomes »

As a member of a research team with interest in national disease threats I am interested in your behaviour and attitude as a small scale (between 1 and 50) poultry keeper. The more information we have on how many birds there are in the country and where they are kept, the better we are able to plan for and respond to disease outbreaks.
Often we find that commercial producers can suggest that backyard keepers have poor husbandry skills, but we believe that backyard poultry keepers have the best interests of their poultry at heart. However there is no evidence to substantiate this. Help prove that we are right by completing this survey at http://www.sruc.ac.uk/tellusaboutyourbirds
Many thanks,
Carla Gomes, SRUC Inverness

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Backyard poultry keepers survey

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi done and a email address attached .
Hope it helps
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I would consider taking your survey, but would like to be able to see the questions first before committing to answer it.

This is a general policy I try to follow in order to check for any 'angle' or agenda on behalf of anyone collecting such information.

Would you please provide a link to its entirety? Thanks.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , do it but do not send off . Pretty good questions for sure . Not my survey may I add.
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Just worked my way through this survey (not submitted due to my location), being new to keeping chickens it raised a couple of questions for me to have a think about especially as our three closest neighbours all keep geese, chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl and even the odd peacock plus a variety of four legged livestock, all are turned loose to wander the village from dawn to dusk, strange how every evening they always return home to the correct address :? How? >coc<
"Not all those who wander are lost"
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

I've done the survey. As a previous poster said, there are some very interesting questions that make you assess your own poultry husbandry in view of the present Avian 'Flu restrictions.

Don't hesitate in doing the survey. We backyard keepers need to show how much we do care about our birds.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am feeling a bit apprehensive, has this 1 entry only new member got any of the moderators permission for this?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have a query re this survey. The way most of us keep & look after our chickens right now, during the Defra restrictions, is going to be different (for the majority) than it was a few months ago. If some people give answers relating to how things are today, but others relate to how things were before the restrictions (and hopefully will be again soon) then the information collected will be a rather pointless mixture. It would be helpful to be more specific about this so you can get the correct information. Also why request the breeds of chickens kept in 2015 if this is a current survey? Just wondered. :?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Just in case anyone is concerned this might be a dodgey link.... I went to SRUC by means other than the link provided... SRUC is genuine.
This is Dr Carla Gomes credentials on the SRUC website.....there are a few references just by searching her name on the site too.
http://www.sruc.ac.uk/cgomes

Her credentials also check out the same on LinedIn (sorry Carla if you see this you will think I'm stalking you ...which of course I am {rofwl} !!)

I don't know permissions Richard may have given but all seems pretty legit. So Carla if you could check the questions people have that would be helpful.

Cheers
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Manda, thank you for posting about about Dr Gomes and her survey. I hope it will encourage more to do it.
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Done :)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thanks for the confirmation Amanda-Jayne )t'
Have to say I gave up……when asking what sort of hens we had could only put in one choice, and 2015 is a long time ago with my brain!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi all, I to was concerned about taking part in this survey. I did indeed start it, but wondered if it was legit and didn't feel comfortable sending off my answers. Looks like it has been OK'd by Manda (thanks for the research), so might try again. Like so many others on this forum, I am keen to expand my knowledge and learn as much as possible for the welfare and benefit of my girls.
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Is there anyone else out there who completed the survey and asked to know the results?
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Webaniar link sent ? 12.10.2017.
So more actions after the survey .
Not done me any harm , bank account safe anyway.
Bob