horse

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

horse

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , SHMBO has her eye on a horse in a paddock in a huge field . It was with lots but they have gone . He is up for sale but so far no takers.
She feeds it carrots . Not broken in and not blanketed .
Now She is having sleepless nights over this horse worrying.
I said buy it put it at a stables pay for its up keep /stabling and vets etc.
She says it is to much to do etc. , etc.
I do not see a problem as any amount of money must be worth a good night sleep.
Now I have to much on my plate to look after the horse for sure , but could finance it I suppose . She is not having it but I may phone up the owner and just do it and stable it , then just b take her there and say get on with it.
She has had horses , cleaned them out for living and her daughter has had share in horses etc. (hence the knowledge of the responsibility of them .)
The horse probably will end up in a butcher shop....
Well suggestion , advise , and call me stupid and look the other way when driving past .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: horse

Post by kitla »

oh my! where will it end Bob! You should buy the whole field & start an animal sanctuary(dont tell me the thought hasnt crossed your mind) You say this horse hasnt been broken, is it one of those shaggy cob things? (travellers) I love the idea of rescuing a horse, there's so many abandoned & neglected (I follow "Hope for Horses") but will it get lonely? you may end up with 2!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

kitla wrote:oh my! where will it end Bob! You should buy the whole field & start an animal sanctuary(dont tell me the thought hasnt crossed your mind) You say this horse hasnt been broken, is it one of those shaggy cob things? (travellers) I love the idea of rescuing a horse, there's so many abandoned & neglected (I follow "Hope for Horses") but will it get lonely? you may end up with 2!
)like(

I can't see it being happy alone in a stable after being in a field with company. My daughter bought a pony that just wouldn't go into a stable, so who knows how an unbroken horse would react.

And marriage is a partnership, not unilateral decisions - she knows more about horses than you do, so tell her what you are thinking, and let her veto it if she needs
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Blimey this is deeper than expected . May have opened a field of horse and shut the gate to late.
Well
1. A stables is about 30 yards from SHMBO . Not sure how horse would be kept /field -stables . Will for sure have friends .
2. We are not married , might love to be but the animals might have a point of view of her feeding regime .
3. We have chatted and debated and strongly discussed the horse for a few months but it is coming to a head (horses ) .
4 . Love to get a small holding , Work is to good to give up and pays for the nice bits of life and the rescue animals as well.
Hoarder comes to mind as told enough times by all. that is the good bit about SHMBO . keeps me in check a bit (when she is looking ) .
Will not see a creature come to harm , may not include humans though as they can look after themselves one way or another .
All I can say is if a thread (if this is what it is called ) starts up with ` my love for a horse and a divorce ` appears you can guess what happened . (Chickens ,dogs and cats and a horse sited as unreasonable behaviour.....)
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Is the horse being neglected? Is there adequate food and water in the field? At this time of the year hay is necessary. Is there any shelter in the field? Depending on its breed if it is not rugged up is not necessarily a problem. ie. if it is "hairy". The costs involved with horses can be astronomical. Do you know how old it is?
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

It is not being neglected as SHMBO would love to ring the RSPCA etc. . 5years old and quite breakable and tameable for sure .
Hay/straw in paddock and feed well . Owners is not so much as negligent as needing to re home him .
Hairy legs sure it is warm enough but always want to over care creatures.
SHMBO was going to get a rug .....
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

At least it is well looked after. I don't think it is for you to interfere and get it a rug. If it hasn't been broken you may well not get near enough to put it on and then it may object. You can't just walk into a field and rug a horse up without making sure it is clean and dry first and the rug needs to be fitted correctly. Trust me I have 57yrs experience of horses.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Wow Bob, what an interesting thread. Glad that the horse is not being neglected. Sounds as though SWMBO knows a thing about keeping horses. If it is something that she really wants I am sure you will help her all you can. Looks like you have even more discussing to do. I definitely think a small holding will be the answer for you (and SWMBO). I'd definitely love a small holding to (but there would be no time for work) so alas it is just a dream (for me). Let us know what you decide.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Will not see a creature come to harm , may not include humans though as they can look after themselves one way or another .

I can totally relate to this, exactly how I feel. I suffered agonies when I knew about a dog that wasn't being cared for, it was trapped in it's back garden, cruelty by isolation. I visited it several times a day and night, putting treats through the fence. I ended up removing it and putting a note through their door.

In your case, the horse seems pretty much ok, and there has to be limits on how many animals you can take on. It has to fit in with both your lifestyles, and what you can afford. I could happily live with a house full of cats and dogs, but another human? No thanks.

Ilona
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I totally agree with your comments Ilona. It is your lifestyle and what you can afford. I love your comment about living with cats and dogs not no other humans - I feel exactly the same!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi said it opened a can of horses .
One , I and SHMBO would not do anything without owners agreement . I have said it is not the horse suffering it is us humans . The horse should and was with a lot of other horses now on it s own.
My big concern is somebody purchasing the horse and some frenchy eating it in France / or tourist.

Next big chat will be weekend if the horse ( which was ) is still there.
If I do , something , I will let you all know , if it disappears from field well that will be the end of this thread I suppose.
Money is never a problem (getting it is always the problem )Have to be careful as to what to write as recognise not all people have the same cercumstances etc.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck with whatever you decided Bob. Looking forward to hearing the outcome.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Horse is still there . Bag of carrots every couple of days. Untangling its mane yesterday whilst it ate the carrots . She is a lovely horse .
SHMBO made no movements or getting her .One day maybe.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Horse still there. Lots of carrots and other people are feeding as well. Must have started a trend. Getting more friendly . Just not practical to look after unfortunately.
Will be missed as SHMBO feeds her every day and enjoys her company.
Bob
Garden_Witch
Learner Laner

Post by Garden_Witch »

I know how you feel and always hate to see an animal in distress (or even just lonely or not being looked after really, really well) which is how I've ended up with six cats and what was four rabbits but is now very sadly just two. Hope you sort things, sounds like you'd be a good animal sanctuary runner. More than one person has said that about me and I now live alone with my animals and definitely prefer it that way!