Brian the Buzzard

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Brian the Buzzard

Post by Richard »

Not Brian Blessed, this handsome looking fellow is making the electricity cable at the end of my garden a fairly regular daily visit.

Wonderful creatures :-D

[center]Image[/center]

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Brian the Buzzard

Post by Gwenoakes »

He certainly is handsome, Richard, but can I ask how you know 'he' is a 'he' though? Is there a definite difference, accepting the obvious of course. :oops:

We have approx 5 Buzzards that are round here, not sure whether they are he's or she's though. They sit on the horse fencing and are very interested in road kill, which I didn't think they would be to be honest. Thought they would go more for live prey.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

The male is more rich brown in colour, the female lighter and a greyer brown.

Unlike us humans, male birds are in almost all cases more attractive than the female.

This is a female on the field behind my place. Probably not so grey as it seems, it was a pretty dull day.

[center]Image[/center]

I think road kill may be 'easy meat' in literal terms. As long as it's fresh of course.
Kestrels always hanging around Motorways.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Lovely photo again )like(

We love watching these soar overhead when out walking and for the first time since moving here, presumably due to the winter we have had them over the garden and in the trees around the garden perimeter.

Unfortunately they are often used as target practice by the "Idiots with guns" out here. {mr.angry}
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, I'm afraid that some Countries, more around the Med areas do seem to have a 'if it flies, it dies' policy.
There are too many migrating birds being shot, especially in Cyprus and Malta.
Solely for sport I should add.

Here it is still legal to shoot Lapwings, Snipe and Woodcocks.

They have a Shoot round here, big posh ones, they even fly down in their Helicopters to do it.
Thing is that most of them don't have a clue as to the difference between a Pheasant and a Swan.
Just having a jolly good time }hairout{ }hairout{

Richard
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I will keep an eye out to see if we have males and females, with your description, Richard it should be fairly easy.

There are lots of idiots about unfortunately who shoot anything that moves. We had hare coursers round our other house and that is illegal. The police did do a good job though I have to say.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

)ot:

Richard wrote:Yes, I'm afraid that some Countries, more around the Med areas do seem to have a 'if it flies, it dies' policy.

Here the saying seems to be "If it moves you shoot!" and that applies all year to anything even though there are meant to be designated hunting seasons. Eagles are a favorite target, we had golden eagles in the hills behind us we used to watch soaring and swooping down, three car loads of "Idiots with guns" later they were not seen again.

It is not unknown for them to shoot their mates when they head back out after their rakia fuelled lunch! :-D :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Richard

Post by Richard »

Blimey !!

It seems there is just no respect or understanding of the importance that every creature has to another one - including humans.

If all humans vanished, the world would live on and long. If all the creatures vanished, so would we......very quickly !

Einstein wrote that should the last bee on earth die, humans would follow within 5 years.

Richard )t'