Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much Karen for all the info you have provided me with - very useful indeed. I do have a cover over my run, but it still leaks and of course gets in at the sides. It's better than nothing though and luckily it dries out quite quickly (once all this rain stops). That's the beauty of this Forum, you can get help and inspiration and ideas from everyone else )like( Hope you and everyone else has a lovely chicken keeping weekend. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Not had such a good weekend chicken-wise this weekend. Mary seemed fine on Saturday, eating and having a nice dust/mud bath. Sunday very quiet and not eating. She has not laid for a couple of weeks now and I am hoping that it is just a matter of coming back into lay and perhaps she is brewing a softie. Her crop completely empty this morning and she seems very weak. When everyone is OK and doing well it is such a lovely feeling and then things can all change with the blink of an eye and I am back to worrying about them. Mary is now just over 2 years old and from previous experience, that for me is when things start to go wrong. I have given her a dose of Epsom Salts this morning so I am hoping that this may do some good. Anyway, will have to wait (and worry) and see how she goes on. I have often thought that I wish the hens could have an operation to stop them laying (as this seems to be where all the problems are). But saying that you would be taking away what hens do naturally. Having eggs does not bother me (yes they are a lovely bonus), but I keep my girls purely as pets and for the love of keeping them and looking after them. I will see how she is tomorrow and if no improvement it looks like another VET job. Oh the joys of chicken keeping!!!
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Come on Mary >fi< sending you lots of love from the Ward house and garden x
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I hope Mary perks up, the vet should be able to feel if there's an egg stuck in there. There is a way to stop them laying, Suprelorin implants, its a bit like putting them on the pill, you can google lots about it.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much Hilly and Kitty for your nice replies. I have heard of the implant (as unfortunately I have been in this position with my first 2 girls). EYP is a terrible fear of mine. I will see how she is tomorrow and decide about the vet. Can't believe I have just started my diary and already full of bad news!! One minute chugging along very nicely and the next something goes wrong (I suppose that's life). Anyway, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Cheshire chick.
So sorry to hear that your Mary is not well. >fi< for Mary and a hug for you {hug} as i expect you need one right now.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

HI you seem a seasoned chicken keeper . So hoping all goes well and keep your head up . The worse thing that can happen is the owners getting unwell as well as the chocks.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much Amber and Bob for your replies. It is much appreciated. Mary not much better today so I have called the vet. I have to make an appointment at the Chicken Vet and they had nothing for tomorrow, but I have made one for Thursday morning (before I go to work). If she deteriorates drastically between now and then I will call them back. There does not seem much more I can do at the moment (god I hate it when they are ill). I have got a feeling it is due to internal laying and I am dreading the outcome of it being Egg York Peritonitis. I have been through that all before with my first hens and utimately there is no cure. They can be drained and given antibiotics, but inevitably it reoccurs. Makes me so sad what these poor working girls have to go through. Whatever happens, I will do my very best for her and give her a chance and see how we go. Rose and Violet seem oblivious to the fact their sister is unwell. They have been making the most of all the treats that I have been trying to tempt Mary with and are right at this minute having a lovely dust bath. Hope everyone else's flocks are doing well.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry to hear Mary is still unwell. It's heartbreaking when they are so ill and you doin't know what to do for the best. I hope the vet can give you a diagnosis, and then you can make a decision about what's best for Mary {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello Louise )wav(
So glad you have started your diary, so sorry to hear Mary is unwell and sending her lots of >fi< . I have had three girls on meds one after the other…it may be an infection which will easily be sorted with meds so fingers and toes crossed
Sandy xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks so much Karen and Sandy for your kind words. Mary still unwell today, so it's a trip off the the vets tomorrow. I have an appointment at 09:20 so I will know more then. I find it so stressful taking my animals to the vets, I'll be a bag of nerves tomorrow but I know it's necessary and I have to do the best for them and get on with it. Fingers and everything else crossed!!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone. A little update on Mary : She seemed to pick up a little Weds/Thursday and started eating and ambling around again. I decided to see how she got on so have postponed the vet's visit. I have to be at work, unfortunately, all day today so cannot keep my eye on her. First thing this morning she came down and went straight for the meal worms (she hasn't been bothering with anything earlier in the week) so I was very pleased. It meant I could come to work not as worried!! I am going to see how she goes on over the weekend. I have been in this position before with other hens and (as long as it is not internal laying) we have been able to get through it. I keep hoping and praying that it is a matter of coming back into lay. Time will tell however and if she seems at all distressed, I will be off to the vets. I am glad this week has nearly finished and hope that things start to improve. I have left all the girls with lots of treats today as they have to stay locked in when there is no-one at home (they are quite used to it now and it is only one day a week). Rose and Violet I fear are getting far too many treats, but I have to put an assortment in to tempt Mary at the moment.

Hope everyone has a lovely chicken keeping weekend.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Cheshire chick.
I am glad Mary is feeling a little better and as you say hopefully it is because she is coming back into lay.
Fingers crossed she continues improving.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi All - Had really good weekend with the girls. With working all day Friday I couldn't see how Mary was until Saturday morning. I cautiously walked down the garden and at first could only see Rose and Violet. My worst fear was that she was still in the nest box hunched up and feeling really unwell. BUT my lovely Mary was there, she had got herself up and was eating!! I can't tell you how relieved I was. Saturday afternoon she was in a dust bath in the run so I knew she must be feeling OK to do this. I am not tempting fate, but she is full of beans this morning and it's made me so happy. She did have a messy bum when she was under the weather, but she has got her nice fluffy bum back now. I know that as they get older problems occur so I am literally enjoying the moment. :-D Hope everyone's flock is OK.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

That's good to hear Cheshire chick.
Well done Mary. )like(
Amber.