Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by HilierWard »

After a 3 week holiday driving across Route 66 in America in October, collected the chickies from their boarding houses and Queenie was almost completely bald. She had little white quills all over her. She now has all her beautiful feathers back, but is still very wary and skittish - not at all like her!

Here are my gingers - in order - Marge in front, then Bonnie, then Texas and to the left Little Mo.

Marge

Bonnie with Queenie

Little Mo and Speckles

Speckles

Bonnie has been back to vets with peritonitis - Tylan injection and Baytrill.

Speckles was at vets on 2 December with her head spinning and unable to stand up - acute dizziness - didn't think I was bringing her home. However, while we were in the waiting room she laid and is right as rain!

cant wait till they are allowed out in the garden again.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Hilly

Good to see you back! Your girls are looking fab, Marge looks like she might be a top hen and adept at keeping order?

I hope Bonnie is okay >fi< Peritonitis is treatable apparently if caught early, although egg laying has to be managed quite carefully, assuming it's egg yolk peritonitis. You could have her implanted?

Speckles - how scary! I would've been terrified! I wonder whether the egg was pressing on a nerve and causing her the problems? Interesting!

Alkmost as interesting as your trip sounds - you must have a fair few fab stories!! +f+
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

thanks Karen - yes, sooo many tales to tell!

These photo's were taken before Lockdown! They seem to be coping ok - its me who is stressing about not letting them out. Each morning they all have fruit cocktail, cabbage hanging from the ceiling, mealworms and scratch mix put into an empty water bottle (which keeps them amused for a few minutes)!

Bonny is in trouble again - swollen tummy, green poo since Sunday. Have been trying to give her Baytrill, but she has sussed its in the hollowed out grapes and just drops them on the floor. Yesterday, I noticed her comb had changed (got smaller and purple tinge) - so off to the vets last night. She had a good feel around and said she could feel a soft tissue lump {cry} gave her another injection of Tylan and said there wasn't much else she could do.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, poor Bonnie. My Remie had a lump too. She was happy for quite a while, but eventually the mass just got too big. Here's hoping Bonnie's is swollen due to infection or can be reabsorbed >fi<

The baytril has a strong taste and possibly smell I understand - have you tried disguising it in some fishy cat food, or on some bread or sardines? Whatever you think she'll eat. I've found grapes useless for hiding pills in. When I had to give Casper her twice daily pills, it was always bread, cat food, sardines or eggs that worked (mainly eggs or bread) and I've done the same with baytril. It's usually worked
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Managed to get abit of medicine in her yesterday in sardines. Her bum was very messy, so we gave her a bath and brought her inside to dry off. She had abit of honey in water, grapes and some seeds.

Before she went to bed, I held her and OH syringed her medicine in. We did the same this morning, however, when I put her back in her run, she just stood there all hunched up. Ive seen this so many times and its never any good - Im dreading what I will find later...
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Sending get well wishes to Bonnie >fi< . My Lily is doing the same. Fingers crossed they both pull through.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope Bonnie picks up Hilly and she makes a speedy recover. Isn't it a nightmare when they are not well? Good luck.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How lovely to have you back again )like(
and what beautiful girlies you have been hiding from us {warn}
Now come on Bonnie you get better girlie, sending her lots of >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thank you!

Bonnie is still hanging in - she has managed to clean herself up :-D but is still very swollen. She is eating, but when I picked her up this morning, I could feel her breastbone. She isn't scratching much, just standing around.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Come on Bonnie get well soon. >fi<
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope Bonnie gets well soon Hilly. These girls don't half give us some worry. Worried all week about Mary, but she has started eating (albeit not a great deal) but she is eating and drinking. Fingers crossed for these poorly girls.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How's Bonnie doing Hilly?
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Any update on Bonnie Hilly? Hope all's well. :-D
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

She is such a little treasure! She is fighting!

When I picked her up this morning, her breastbone was so prominent - Im going to try and get a vets appointment for later today. She is pecking and scratching and eating grapes, but clearly is not eating pellets.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Come on Bonnie you can do it >fi< >fi<
Amber