A Camera Story

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

A Camera Story

Post by Richard »

I was at Dungeness the other day and a chap turned up in a bit of a tatty old car, certainly worth less than four figures.

He parked up and exchanged notes on what birds were about and somehow the conversation got round to spending money.
It appears he's of frugal attitude; buys clothes from Charity Shops, does the usual sell by date offers at Tesco's, generally make do and mend.

He then got his Camera and Lens out the Car.
To say I was staggered was an understatement. He had top range Nkon D5 DSLR Camera and an 800mm Nikon Lens.

Total price new - around £18,000 !!!!

He could see what I was thinking, just said that's the reason he's frugal, he's only that to have the best there is of his favourite hobby !

Obviously like me, a pensioner.

I say good luck to him, how we wish to spend our money and live the lifestyle we do is fine, many are frugal in some things simply to afford the thing they like most.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: A Camera Story

Post by KarenE »

I dread to think how much I've spent on my camera and lenses so far, and I've got my eye on the tamron 24-70 2.8, which is half the price of the nikon but still around £600. Also could do with a wide angle...
Had to pick up a new camera in the autumn as my much-loved d3200 got water damage, so I upgraded to a d7200. Lovely camera, and hubby fixed the d3200 too as we found out it wasn't totally bust but needed a new lcd screen - £28 on ebay and another fully functioning camera!
I tend to buy my lenses new but as returns, so not quite as eye wateringly pricey as they could be.
I've decided that I need to try and make my hobby at least self funding... Richard, I'm sure you could sell some of your bird pictures )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I have the D7200 )t' )t'

Works well.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I love it. I wish it didn't have the button lock on the settings dial but I mainly shoot on manual on continuous burst so not too much of a bother. I love the bracketing feature (one of the reasons I bought it, makes HDR so much easier) but just haven't got to grips with the focus properly yet. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

My camera has travelled the world prior to me taking it to S /Africa.
150 DLSR SONY a100 10years plus old . Bought a lens for it 300mm 45 poundsd a pocket one 30 pounds . More gadgets on it than enough . (I just point and click. ) tripod 17 pounds bag for it 10pounds . Does the job .
Bob
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Good on him! Like him I am fairly frugal in order to buy a few luxuries without getting into debt. I can't imagine spending 18000k but he obviously forgoes a lot to feed his passion of photography.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.