Ilona clocking in

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Ilona clocking in

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello, I'll make a start, write a few notes, etc, though I don't need to be a total skinflint, my situation is improving all the time. After years of watching my spending it is now second nature to me to be very careful, thus I am not feeling hard done by or stressed about money in any way.

Money saving is still a game, living within my means is a challenge that I am not afraid of, in fact it's fun. I look on it as trying to beat the system.

I am a pensioner, living on the state pension plus a small top up pension, in a mortgage free house. I prioritize my spending, saving money on my day to day living expenses, so I have enough for what is important to me. A nice car, holidays and days out, and two cats.

Some of my money saving seems like piffle, only a few pennies here and there, but over a year, they mount up to quite substantial amounts. I changed my car two years ago and could afford to change it again now, but I will hang on a bit until I see something I really want, rather than change it for the sake of it.

I was over the other side of town on Tuesday, my vet is over that way. I came back through town and popped into Son of Morris as I was passing. Quiet a lot of choice in the yellow sticker reduced chiller cabinet. I got myself quite a bit of food for just over £5. Worth ten minutes to go and have a look. Last week I went into the £1 shop and found six free range eggs at half price, so bought two boxes. Eggs every day till they have gone. My meals are based on what I can buy cheap. Sometimes I shop at Al-didly, because it's close to town and fit it in with going to the bank, the library, and the Arts Centre.

My gas and electric bills came last month, I expected a bit more because I have been having a blast of the gas central heating. I pay quarterly into the bank for these. My supplier does not penalize customers for choosing this method of payment, they also do not have a standing charge. This not for profit organisation has a flat price per kw hour for everyone, which is slightly higher than other suppliers. It is ideal for me as a low user, but for a family it might not be so cost effective.

We are now on the 3rd of Feb, I have not been anywhere this month, the car hasn't moved, so I haven't spent anything.

Will clock in here from time to time. Good luck with the money saving everyone.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona clocking in

Post by Meanqueen »

I walked to town yesterday, visited the Arts Centre and the Library, spent £3.70 on mixed seeds from the Health Food shop, (put them on my breakfast cereal), and got the bus back.

Been out for the day today visiting relatives in Nottingham. Had enough petrol in the car so didn't need to buy any. Found a 1p coin on the road. I can even spot them in the dark. :-D

Ilona
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Being nosey...whereabouts in Nottingham?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Grannyof4 wrote:Being nosey...whereabouts in Nottingham?

Sherwood.

Spent £1 today, Crafty Club price per session, inc drink and biscuits.

Ilona
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Yes....know it well.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I bought a birthday card for 50p today and a second class stamp, from our pop up Post Office in the church.

Tes & co sent me £7.50 in points vouchers. I now have £22.50. will save these until I see something I want.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I had a day out in Hull today. Drove my car to Barton on the south bank of the bridge, then got the bus over and back, saving the £3 toll.

I called in at Tes & co on the way home and spent £12.45 on a few groceries. These will keep me going over the weekend, can't be bothered doing a big shop this week.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

No spend yesterday, didn't go anywhere. I'm about to go out now, Sainsbugs have some cat food on offer at a good price, Heidi cat likes it.

The car will have to be taxed this month, can't get out of that.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have to wait till I'm passing a Tesco for cat food.
Pat won't eat Sains or Co-op own.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Cats are so fickle, Mo. Heidi likes those small sachets of Sheba, six in a pack. Normal price is £2, but the discount stores usually sell them for £1.49. Sains has them for £1.25 on offer. I've stocked up, also bought a small bag of Purina dry to try. Total spent £11.50.

I took some items to the Age UK charity shop, had a sort out. Had a browse while in there, and bought a picture frame for £1. I seem to be on a roll with painting at the moment. Always thought I was hopeless at painting pictures, but now I'm trying different methods. I find I like bold colours, and a bit abstract.

Weather been awful all day. Damp and dull.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh my word, the credit card bill has landed, and it's a whopper. All the items on it are what was spent in January, now I have to cough up the dosh. Just as well I have an emergency fund to cover it.
Food shop £30.59
Petrol £46.59
Car insurance £289.74
Vet Bugsy £41.24
Vet Bugsy £135.50
Total £543.66
On top of that I have to get my car road tax at £130.
Total £673.66. {cry}

On the plus side I have a cheque for £15 to pay into the bank. That was my transport costs from the WI for a talk I did. I don't make a charge for the talk.

Tonight I had a home made ready meal for my dinner. That's a microwaved portion of a veggie stew. These I make with yellow sticker reduced veg, so they are very cheap.

This morning I went to Crafty Club and paid my £1. Two hours sitting in a warm room, coffee and biscuits.

I hope the rest of the month will not cost too much.
Ilona
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , it mounts up easily I know.
One day at a time , best foot forward . Tighten the belt .All good sayings but does not pay bills .
Best
Bob
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

Ilona, I'm interested in your utility company with no standing charge.. we don't have gas here, use coal for heating and cook by Calor. So my elect bill is very low, currently around £5 a week. You could PM me if you don't want to post it in here and cause a stampede :-D
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

mardatha wrote:Ilona, I'm interested in your utility company with no standing charge.. we don't have gas here, use coal for heating and cook by Calor. So my elect bill is very low, currently around £5 a week. You could PM me if you don't want to post it in here and cause a stampede :-D

Hello. I think it's ok to pass on information which might be useful to others. Google Ebico.

Ilona
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

Will do - thanks pet xx