Ilona clocking in

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona clocking in

Post by Meanqueen »

I popped out yesterday to a local small retail park, needed two picture frames of a certain size, so off I went to the charity shop with my tape measure. They have quite a good selection, but my mistake is making the picture first, then looking for a suitable frame. I should pick a frame and make a picture to fit it. Silly me.

Anyway, I've painted two smallish pictures. I found a frame for one of them, not sure if it actually goes with the picture, might paint it, but can't find a frame exactly 8.5 inches square for the other one. Might have to make one.

Anyway, I did buy three frames at £1 each, so no doubt at some point I will need them for future projects.

Also bought a packet of chicken slices for the cats treats.

Ilona
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Maybe you can sign one for me and I could pay you cost +1pound frame and commission ???
Be your first sale . I could then hang it and sell on for a profit .......
Probably not want to sell it and keep it for my retirement pension plan .
Bob
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Last night I did the yellow sticker dash to Tes & co. Not as much there but still a few bargains. Bananas 14p, mushrooms 10p, bread 21p and 23p, salad leaves 10p and 10p, onions 10p and 10p, houmous 11p, macaroni cheese 82p and 82p. Not much off the macaroni cheese because it isn't out of date yet, I'll divide it into four portions and freeze it.

I picked up a few things I don't normally buy, to get a bit of variety into my diet. Tagliatelle is £1.25, I can get four portions out of the bag. Frozen cheese sauce, £1.50, no idea what that's like, worth a try. Garlic baguette 32p.

Soya milk is 59p, picked up three cartons. Potato salad 35p, two custard tarts 70p.

Six small yogurts £1, two packs of 6 vegetable grills £1 each, six eggs 89p, two blue cheese £1 each. Value quiche £1, that will make four meals with some veg. Value plain yogurt 45p, I fancied a milk shake for a change, it was £1. A few tins. Peaches 35p, fruit cocktail on offer two for £1.50, rice pudding 20p, mushy peas 20p.

Other bits and bobs were, butter £1.09, cream crackers 35p, pack of 12 scones £1, milk 45p. Total shop was £24.55. I have got lots of vegetables in the freezer so I will be using them up before I buy fresh. I have enough potatoes and bread for a couple of weeks. I should have enough food now to last ten days or more.

Ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Meanqueen wrote:Garlic baguette 32p.

I've been shopping at Tescos in recent weeks for one reason or other but it's not my usual supermarket - I only recently discovered their "value" garlic baguettes which are not that bad (so much so, I can't think how the more expensive one could be any better)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You're a mighty mean shopper Ilona (not mean as in stingy, mean as in going for it !!)

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Richard wrote:You're a mighty mean shopper Ilona (not mean as in stingy, mean as in going for it !!)

Richard )t'

I am Richard, no one pulls the wool over my eyes. I am careful where I spend my money. have to get the best I can for as little as I can. :-D
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. I went to town yesterday and have to pass the Cash and Carry. I often pop in there to see what they have cheap. Most of it is out of date, sometimes I find bargains, other times there is nothing that I want. They do have a lot of cakes, biscuits, chocolates, fizzy drinks etc, which I avoid.

Yesterday I got sultanas, chopped walnuts and dates, sunflower seeds, mayo, Bran Flakes, fruit juice and cat food pouches. Total £9.40. The dried fruit, nuts, and seeds I put in my mini chopper and add to the bran flakes. These will last a few weeks, it's a case of buying them when I see them, because the Cash and Carry only buy in a certain amount of each item, depending on what they can get. So, that's my breakfast sorted for the next eight weeks or so.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Haven't been anywhere over the weekend, so no money spent. I can't think of anything I need. Being frugal with the heating, it's warming up so no need to put it on. I had it on for an hour last night and was too hot so off it went. Heat saps the strength out of me, makes me tired.

Thinking I might have a holiday soon, but it will be early March, I think. Fancy going on a long walk.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I spent some money yesterday, had to be done. Bought a train ticket for £28. Booked a hotel for one night in Newcastle for £59. Bought two OS maps for £15, buy one get one half price. When I go next month I have six more nights accommodation to pay for. There won't be an opportunity to shop around for them as I will have to take whatever is available. The reason I am frugal in my day to day living is so I can save up for my holidays.

It's the little savings which all mount up. I have just opened a tin of condensed milk, bought reduced for 25p as it was dented. This I will dilute 50/50 with water for my cereals. I normally buy soya milk at 59p a ltr, so the bashed tin was a good saving.

I have not been putting the heating on so much, hopefully I can cut down a bit more as we come into spring. Bit chilly today so I am sitting here with a dressing gown over my clothes.

I found a couple of bedside cabinets in a skip and they are now installed in my living room. I love free furniture, and cannot envisage me buying anything new again. What I have will last me the rest of my life. I don't believe in keeping up with fashions, my furniture is functional.

Toodle pip
ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yesterday I did a top up shop at Aldiddly, spent £11. I'm away on holiday soon and wanted to make sure there is some food in for when I come back.

Today I went a walk with my buddies, Paul and Paul. I paid the Humber Bridge toll one way for £1.50, and I bought us all a flapjack from a village shop, £2.40.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I had to take a map back to WHSmiths today, bought the wrong one, swap it for the right one. While in town I went into Bee an Emm. Spent £6,67 on pair of gardening gloves, £1.00. Interdental brushes £1.49. Pack of three massage bath sponges 89p. Box of Felix pouches.

I took some rubbish to the council dump today and came back with more than I went with. Had a nosy in someone's car and rescued some stuff . Brand new iron still in the box, three cushions, a clock, and seven picture frames. I will give some of it away. The picture frames will come in useful for my cheap hobby of making textile art. I use a lot of recycled fabrics which cost almost nothing.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Not a lot to put in the diary tonight, because I haven't been anywhere and haven't spent anything. In fact I am £10 up. I am walking a dog for three days and the owner insisted I take some money for it, even though I argued that I don't want it. I took it and said I will pass it on to the Cat Rescue.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)like(
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Today I spent the grand total of £1, entry to Crafty Club.

I am running the fridge down in readiness for going away, Using up bits and bobs, making some strange meals. I never keep a lot of tinned and packet food in, have a four drawer freezer which has mainly vegetables and a few veggie sausages, and bread when I get it on a yellow sticker. There is no chance of food getting lost at the back, I can actually see the back of the cupboard because there is only one row of tins in there.

I will spend a little bit tomorrow, need to collect Heidi cat's tablets from the vet.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Spent a little bit today. £12 on flowers and a couple of garden ornaments for my cat sitter, she won't take payment. £6 at the vet for Heidi's tablets. £5.40 on two bags of cat food, thought I had enough, don't want to run out while I am away. A few snacky nibbles to take with me.

Not much left in the fridge except a few items with long dates on. Strange meal tonight, grated carrot with mushrooms cooked in a little oil with spices, and tagliatelle. I put some fruit juice in, it tastes of coconut. )eat(

There will be some spending while I am away, accommodation and food to pay for. I don't eat much during the day because I shall be getting big breakfasts. Pop in a shop in the afternoon and buy food for a picnic in the room. I don't have an evening meal, can't go to bed on a full stomach.

When I come back start saving for the next holiday.

Ilona