Avian flu

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Avian flu

Post by kitla »

thanks Bob, here's the link incase anyone wants it
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influ ... ruary-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh great, we appear to be in a control zone, even though there's been no cases closer than 2 counties away. Looks like they're circling areas within a radius of any large lakes.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Not 100per cent sure , I think that come round and check the area . 3kilometres and observe in 10 kilometres . But quite possible it could be done. as preventive measure .
Unfair on us all . Could always rat on them and get 5000pound fine and 3 mths in prison . depends how much you like them .
Not sure how many inspectors . Vets might have a go for you .
Ignorance is not a defence .
Check the DEFRA web sight updated today . Map of areas and high risk and the plans for the 28th Feb onwards .
Bob
Let me know what you think . Hope you are out of the high risk area for the future .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Have looked at the numbers reading at bottom front page .
Word must be getting out about the flu .
Readers gone up leaps and bounds .
defra must have a hot line by now.
bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Did you notice that it is OK for people to release large numbers of pheasants which are then treated as wild birds, even if they are still given food and water. So if you want to let your hens out, call them game birds.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Call them Fred but they still are chickens ....
When I cool down and read it properly I will have to decide if worth getting netting and cover my garden with it and stick long poles up to make it a circus shape . How many wild birds are going to get caught up in that . Not mentioning my cats . May keep foxes out for a while . What a nuisance this all is for sure .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Don't know if it is just me, but all this is getting very confusing. Sounds like they are saying some areas of the country do not have to be as vigilant as others. I am not having too much trouble with my girls, thankfully. They have an enclosed run but they are used to coming out at the weekends mostly. I get shouted at then, but I have kept them in. Sounds like some places are not adhering to the rules and this is very frustrating for responsible owners.
Garden_Witch
Learner Laner

Post by Garden_Witch »

How confusing for everyone. As a prospective chicken keeper I've been following this closely - looking at that map I'm outside of a high risk zone. Does this mean I could buy hens now? Not going to yet as I don't have a coop, just a covered walk in run ATM, but theoretically would establishments outside these areas be allowed to sell Point-of-Lay hens after the 28th? I was hoping to do a "chicken course", really a morning thing, before picking up my girls but have assumed here have all been cancelled up to now.

I went to a garden centre this morning and saw a large flock of geese loose on a farm nearby? Are geese allowed to be free in fields, I'd thought not?
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Looking at the map what is likely to be the controlled zones? All The brown areas or the 3 blue marked areas?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It appears that all the coloured areas are regarded as higher risk, I presume the blue is where there's been an outbreak & the yellow area is the controlled zone around it. But the rules on how we must keep our hens seems the same if we're in any coloured area. I'm about 2 miles within the brown :( , infact as the crow flies (which is what counts) about 1 mile
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi New outbreak north east of Bury St. Edmund.
13.02.17 /declared 14.02.17 .
30 days 17th March earliest now Actual likely 17th April 17 .
Not good ,area is pretty close to Coast and fens /national bird park.
Hope no one is to close to it . If you are . A note on how it has /will effect you would be good.
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

I'm in Scotland so hopefully come 28 Feb I can let my girls out into the garden with me again. I think I am going to be forever paranoid about flu now though. One thing that confuses me is around keeping wild birds at bay. I have the usual round of garden birds such as sparrows, blue tits, and the like. Should I panic about them being around? We don't have any visiting waterfowl or gulls. I keep the girls food and water away from wild birds but of course the girls scratch around.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

It would not be impossible to have the local birds catch it , but it is the foreign birds or the birds returning from overseas that are likely to spread it .
You are lucky . Just keep an eye out for sick birds / dead birds about your area .
have not looked at the welsh /Scotland / north Ireland maps so not sure of the high risk areas.
Bob
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Don't know if this link will work but you can typyin your postcode and it will show you a map with risk details. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/592708/ai-prevention-zone-hra-summary-rationale.pdf
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I do wonder if there are any back yard chicken keepers who are not aware of the situation. The only way you can keep up to date is via the internet and not everyone even uses a computer let alone the internet. To be honest if it was not for me being on the lane I would have no idea what is going on.
At the end of this week, my only girl left will be roaming my garden and enjoying life. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Don't really understand this at all :? We live in an area know as the 'Shropshire Lakes', lots of meres and water not too far away yet according to the map on DEFRA we're now in a low risk area although we have ducks and geese flying over throughout the day. Where we recently moved from has no water close by but is still high risk. Don't get it!!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx