Chicken Shed roofing material

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Hendo19
Learner Laner

Chicken Shed roofing material

Post by Hendo19 »

Hi
I'm buying a new shed for my hens and have read that felt roof covering is not recommended for the hen house because of possible red mite infestation. Is this really a big problem or would good cleaning prevent this. What alternatives are there.
Thank you

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken Shed roofing material

Post by lancashire lass »

interesting question - I think roofing felt on a coop might be more problematic because the mites are within crawling distance of the sleeping hens than say a shed roof would be. Then again, once inside the shed, they would just migrate to areas closer and hide in the cracks between wood nearby.

About 3 years ago I had an idea to make a quail house (never did get quails - the space is occupied with stuff for the chickens now like a big messy cupboard LOL) by extending the existing garden shed roof with corrugated plastic sheets to make it uber weather proof. You could perhaps replacing the roofing felt with something similar?
Hendo19
Learner Laner

Post by Hendo19 »

Hi
Thank you Lancashire Lass for your post it is much appreciated.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I believe I read somewhere that the best thing to do with roofing felt on a chicken coop is to glue it down all over so the mites can't get underneath.

Otherwise, plastic is the way to go.

One common place for red mites is at the end of wooden perches, overlap panels are also an attraction.
Best to inspect often with a torch.

One of the hazards !

I had a wooden shed plus roofing felt and to be honest, never had a great problem over the years.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome