Operation Chicken Run!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Minxy
Lively Laner

Re: Operation Chicken Run!

Post by Minxy »

Thanks Cheshire Chick, I'm glad that you are enjoying the blog and pictures. :)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

I went over there this morning for the usual jobs and to hang up some spring cabbages for them to peck at. I have four fruit trees inside their enclosure. Two of these are quite small (a pear and a plum) which makes them handy for hanging treats from. They do love their greens and it gives them something to occupy their time. I don't bother placing the grit and oyster shell inside their shed but rather sprinkle it around the base of the trees. This gives them something else to do.

I took the decision to lock them in today because of the storm winds we're currently having. Chickens are fairly resilient to rain, snow and low temperatures yet they do not like their feathers being ruffled the wrong way. I do wonder if this is where the phrase originates from as it sounds quite plausible.

I've some more cleaning materials arriving tomorrow along with some wood-chippings. Hence a busy weekend ahead. Mostly, in terms of their enclosure, I've found that with regular treatment of the soil with dry disinfectant, and with a good downpour too, it does seem to keep things relatively healthy. No signs of scaly leg or bumblefoot which is good news. That said, it can get quite muddy and of course, there are the dirty puddles which they like to drink from. So this is why I'll be putting down some wood-chippings.

I also want to cheer the area up a little. Aside from the trees there are some lemon balm and sage growing in there. They are not the slightest bit interested in eating this, which is good. But it would be good for them to have a few other things to wander around and scratch beneath. So I'm going to be planting some lavender - they can chase the bees then! Also, some peppermint around the shed and feed storage. It seems that rodents really don't like the smell of peppermint, so this has added advantage as hopefully also being a partial deterrent.

The water is switched off over the Winter so I have to take it over there from home until it goes back on at the end of March. This has also meant taking a flask of boiling water with me too for unfreezing the drinkers. Otherwise, they defrost a bit in the car journey home and I've water in the boot to contend with. Not a good idea! However, they do like to help as will often snatch the water bottle lids for a quick sports/tag team game. They also especially like to help out if I move a paving slab, gobbling up all the worms underneath.

I've an Omlet run which is made of string and can be erected, moved and taken down quite quickly. I've just gained permission to erect this on the grassy areas on occasions; when I want to let them out for some fresh grazing. Though this can only really happen with myself on guard due to the foxes. But it's better than no grass at all.

People are starting to re-appear now which the birds love. They go rushing over to say hello to anyone passing. They do get spoilt by quite a few people who poke through some sprout tops or other titbits. Harvey keeps a watchful eye though. So do many of the allotment holders, which is also handy. Gained a cuddle from Harvey today. He really is adorable. :)
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Good afternoon,

My flock were busy planting lavender today. They particularly liked scratching for worms and found quite a few. After some fresh soil was added to the planting hole, Little Miss decided that it was a lovely place to settle for a nap. However much Vicky tried to move her, so that she could get in, Little Miss was quite adamant that she was staying put.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/pTK52J
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Minxy wrote:Good afternoon,

My flock were busy planting lavender today. They particularly liked scratching for worms and found quite a few. After some fresh soil was added to the planting hole, Little Miss decided that it was a lovely place to settle for a nap. However much Vicky tried to move her, so that she could get in, Little Miss was quite adamant that she was staying put.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/pTK52J" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What beautiful feathering your girls have. That's a nice deep dust bath :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Minxy lovely to have new blood on here, loving your diary )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Hello everyone,

Thanks stripeddonkey! Hello Sandy and thanks for the welcome. :)

My ladies are probably a little too enthusiastic in helping out with the gardening. As you know, they decided to help plant some lavender. I chose it because they are not interested in eating it and felt it would cheer up the area. Wrong! When I went back the next day, they had decided to not only rip it to bits but to also dig it up. I guess they didn't want it in there!

Not all is lost though. I've donated the plants (as I was going to plant more) to our allotment. They'll be planted up in a nearby border. Also, I'd ordered two 'Fragrant Cloud' rose standards (they were on offer, couldn't help it!). So I dug a couple of holes and filled them with dry compost first. I was then able to plant up the roses (which they have left alone). But I did laugh when I looked over at them. I have two white leghorns but they certainly weren't white! Both of them had been having a thorough dust bath in the holes I'd dug for them and were completely black from top to tail. {rofwl} The sun was out yesterday and it was a lovely mild day. So they all took turns to dustbathe. Little Miss was in there again and went to sleep. :)

Harvey is starting to gain confidence and was crowing a little bit. The girls were so excited at the prospect of worms (tag team games ensued) and dust bathing facilities that he was getting a bit frantic about how to keep an eye on them all.

I shall miss them while I am away. But all the cleaning is up to date and they will be well looked after.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hello Minxy - Gosh your girls certainly seem to be having fun helping you with the gardening and choosing which plants they prefer. I gave up with the borders in my garden and put all my summer plants in posts in the borders instead of directly into the soil. I must admit this worked really well last year so shall be doing the same this year. It was a win win situation as I still had some lovely plants and colour in the garden borders and the girls were able to dig where they wanted without destroying anything. You become quite inventive when you live with girls that insist on helping out in the gardening department.
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Hello Minxy - Gosh your girls certainly seem to be having fun helping you with the gardening and choosing which plants they prefer. I gave up with the borders in my garden and put all my summer plants in posts in the borders instead of directly into the soil. I must admit this worked really well last year so shall be doing the same this year. It was a win win situation as I still had some lovely plants and colour in the garden borders and the girls were able to dig where they wanted without destroying anything. You become quite inventive when you live with girls that insist on helping out in the gardening department.

Hello! The posts option sounds good, thanks for that. Actually, I need to put some wire posts around the lemon balm. Despite showing absolutely no interest in this last year, the slightest green and they are on it!

They've also re-arranged all the wood chippings that I put down! We had a lovely sunny day today and it was mild too. Vicky was feeling a bit broody so was not impressed when I removed the eggs. So far, 8 of them have been laying for a while but we finally had an egg from one of the three Faverolles (the babies of the group). So I hope to come back to all of them laying. On the whole, they were enjoying a bit of sun basking taking place and a keen interest in all the plot holders coming and going.

I changed the timings on the automatic pop hole opener, as will be away when the clocks change. So that's it from me for a while. Looking forward to hearing all about your ladies antics when I return (everyone). :)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hope you are enjoying Cuba, remind to find a very dino likeness of Psycho Olive when you get back
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Hello Sandy! :-D

Thank you, Cuba was just....WOW! There were chickens everywhere and so many other animals. I'll upload some photos when I'm over this jetlag and am looking forward to catching up with everyone! :-D
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Looking forward to seeing your Cuban Chicky pics - hint hint!

And how are your girls?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Hi,

Sandy: reminder on Pyscho Olive raptor pic as requested and KarenE: I will post soon! I also recorded the dawn chorus to share. :)

Apologies for not being in touch but despite having a great time on a tropical island, I contracted something that made me so ill that I was hospitalised twice (both in Cuba and a week after returning). It has taken a fair few weeks to recover, hence not being in touch.

Back to chickens! They are generally well and laying well (all of them now) but I'm having some issues with loss of feather plumage and complete loss of muffs on my three Faverolles. At the moment, I'm taking elimination steps regarding red mite as a possible cause. I'm due to start worming treatment again this week too. Any thoughts?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Minxy wrote:
Apologies for not being in touch but despite having a great time on a tropical island, I contracted something that made me so ill that I was hospitalised twice (both in Cuba and a week after returning). It has taken a fair few weeks to recover, hence not being in touch.

That's not good - holidays should be about coming back fitter. I think I'm glad that I'm a stop-at-home; a friend went somewhere in Europe and picked up a tick which is still affecting her 10 months on.

Hope you are soon back to normal.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Minxy sorry to hear that you have been ill whilst trying to enjoy your holidays. Hope that you have fully recovered now and I too will be looking forward to your pic's.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Minxy hope you are fully recovered now, I havent forgot the photo of Olive just have not been able to upload for the past week }hairout{