Marmalade sales dropping

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Marmalade sales dropping

Post by Richard »

)eat(

DAILY TELEGRAPH ARTICLE

Strange because I was going to post about Marmalade Flavours, then I read the above article.

What's your favourite Marmalade ? (Mine's Orange and Tangerine - cold from the Fridge on toasted Seeded Bread)

Do you eat less Marmalade then you used to ?

It appears to be related to age. Are us more senior types making Marmalade which is something for old people ?

Richard )eat(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Marmalade sales dropping

Post by Mo »

From a sample of about 3 I can confidently say that men like marmalade, women don't.

Too sour for me, and when I put some that I'd made on the dance club bring-and-buy a couple of people bought it 'for their husband'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The article says
it would appear that the traditional British preserve is being challenged by the American upstarts of peanut butter and chocolate spread.

As if they were something new.
I remember chocolate spread as a treat in my childhood, more than 65 years ago.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We make our own, with my favourite being Ginger marmalade but it is mainly myself that enjoys it as my Better Half prefers her Strawberry jam.

We only make @ 6 jars of marmalade compared to over 30 jars of jam during the year.

As for peanut butter and chocolate spreads, not to my taste at all. With the number of people that seem to have a peanut allergy today it seems strange that sales are on the rise, unless of course there are not actually any peanuts in it!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I do like Marmalade, and all types, thick, thin, orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime. I do eat less these days, but that goes for all sweet spreads, and spreads in general, because I'm eating less bread.

Peanut butter. I'd never eaten peanut butter until I was an adult, wasn't something my parents bought in ever, and if we'd asked for it, the answer would have been no! tight parents :P
That's just the way it was.
I bought it initially for my kids, but tried it and like it, but not on toast, yuck!
I do like peanut butter and crackers, or PB and banana on various ryvita.

It's not the peanuts or lack of them but blinkin' palm oil. I want my peanut butter to be made of Peanuts,not have some cheap ingredient bunged in there, with no price reduction!
So far the best option I found was Morrissssons own branded PB, no added salt, sugar or palm oil. Not the cheapest but just about acceptable (as tight as my parents were :P ).
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Got to agree Hedgyhug, peanut butter is packed out with “stuff” these days, mainly palm oil which is not number one on my preferred ingredients lists. Peanut and sweet chilli sauce toasties are nice especially if you add some grilled chicken (sorry).

I used to like marmalade, Rosie’s lime was always a favourite because it was what we often used to get on board ship. Always wholemeal (or brown as we used to get on board) toast. I don’t have it so much these days as I don’t really have a sweet tooth, but the sourer the better for me, lime, grapefruit or lemon rather than orange.
Bah Humbug
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I do like a peanut butter and banana toastie, which goes against the not liking it on toast, but it's a different form of toast, my excuse anyway. The banana helps, obviously :)
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

peanut butter needs something sweet or fruity to counteract it, hence the american peanut butter and jam (it is not jelly, jelly is the stuff that you get at birthday parties, it is jam).
Bah Humbug
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

PB and jam is vile, yes I tried, once, never again.

Going back to marmalade, I've never made my own. Is it the same method as jam making?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The proportions are different. But basically, yes.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I remember the chocolate spread Mo, pretty scrummy. I like marmalade, sometimes buy it but usually make a batch with the concoction you buy in tins to make up.

I like peanut butter, but afraid it doesn't like me so very rarely eat it.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I do like marmalade but it has to be chunky cut, any flavour. My OH was a real marmalade lover and had it most mornings rather than any other spread. I used ro make my own with various citrus fruits and also liked to add ginger. I do like a good peanut butter, on it's own, no jam. I have enjoed it on brown seeded toast with sliced banana. Rather yummy.
Can't stand the chocolate spreads which are much too sweet. Do I eat marmalade as much as in the past? No!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I love marmalade. I think some of the shop bought ones are a bit sweet now though, not so tangy. Can't beat seeded toast covered in marmalade - my morning snack at work most days )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx