Really at heading for 7

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Really at heading for 7

Post by Grannyof4 »

Surely my Crested Legbar can't be coming back into lay. She must be heading for 7, well certainly turned 6. Much to my amazement she came back into lay March last year, even after losing her mate and the upheaval of moving. She is as happy as a pig in wotsit on her own. She has started crouching which we all know is a sign of coming into or actually laying. She looks so well and her comb is so red. Watch this space.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Really at heading for 7

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Gosh that is a really good age and to start laying again is wonderful. I do find some contradicting information sometimes with chickens. I was lead to believe that a hen only has so many ova and when they are all used up that is the end of their laying days, but then I have heard of elderly hens laying the odd egg. She really is a good age, you must be looking after her very well indeed.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We've got a Speckeldy who must be 5 now and hasn't laid for a couple of years and she's started to crouch too. Her face and comb are redder than I've ever seen them. We had quite a big lash the other day and I wondered if it might be her but no sign of an actual egg yet. Our little Lucy who's a Cheshire Blue (although we've never had a blue egg!) is like a Duracell bunny at the moment, it's like she's on steroids {rofwl} You can certainly tell Spring is here )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

My ladies were hatched in 2011 and have fairly short laying seasons (get shorter each year, Feb to July for one!), no signs of giving up yet. Their first year in lay was 2012.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Pie, who will be 5 this summer (maybe even 6!) has started laying again. I can't believe it as she didn't lay at all last year!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

p.penn wrote:Pie, who will be 5 this summer (maybe even 6!) has started laying again. I can't believe it as she didn't lay at all last year!

Gap year!!!
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We only have 2 hens left, a Welsummer and a Cream Legbar, both will be 7 in April/May this year and the Welsummer is still laying really well. Haven't had any eggs this Spring so far from our Cream Legbar, so maybe she has given up. They are such a sweet pair together, they both go into the nest when one of them is laying {hug}
Lyn

Post by Grannyof4 »

Perfect egg yesterday.......I can't believe it at her age. She does look so healthy.