Dominant existing flock and new hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
CeriR
Learner Laner

Dominant existing flock and new hens

Post by CeriR »

Hi,

I have been keeping hens for about 6-8 years now and am currently have a bit of an issue with my existing hens.

Currently I have a very large columbine, a dominant fenning cou cou and a ranger. All are full size and are the last of my last flock, I recenly went to buy 3 new hens to add to my flock, a columbine, another Cou Cou and a Bluebell at 19-21 weeks old.

Please see attached photo of my house, run and external run. to get a better idea of my situation

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/11619 ... id/7765331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a coop which is roughly 1.5m x 1.5m with multiple perches and egg boxes, the ladder leads down to a covered internal run of around 3m x 1m with a concrete base. This has a large round hanging feeder and water bowl in and a straw base replaced weekly.
When the ground is not wet the have an external run, the main length is pictured in red, this is approx 4m by 1m plus the additional bit by the internal run door, this run has as you can maybe see long zig zagging perches and also a 1x1m corrugated PVC end that allows that portion ot stay dry for year round sand baths even in winter. The chickens are also regularly allowed into the main garden for grass and free roam under supervision.

When I got the new chickens I was aware they were much younger and smaller than the exiting dominant chickens so I had the new ones lock outside with a separate water bowl and feeder for one week where I would in the evening pick them up and put them in a back up house, this allowed them to see but not be touched by the existing hens after 1 week I opened the separating door, all seemed mostly fine and the new hens just seemed to hide under the outside run cover staying clear of the new hens after a few little pecks and chases. Days went past and the new hens were not going anywhere near them just hiding in the corner and they hadent got the chance to learn the layout of the inside and coop so I was every evening picking them up and putting them in the house at night. A few more days and the exiting chickens were very violently attacking them giving them no quarter. I am aware this is normal but when blood was drawn I had to re separate them. A gave it another week of half run serperation and tried again, but no luck. The existing chicks literally stand with all their weight on there backs and tuck at their feathers and pull at their combs with then cowering with no where to go until I stop them.I have tried letting them out on the grass together where there is much more space but the same happens with all 3 dominating an individual. I have even tried letting them do it in hope they will get to a point where they decide they have made their mark and will leave them but it gets too rough and I feel I have to stop it.

The issue is I am going away for a few days aboard next month so I really need to know they will be safe and get on.

The last resort would be a separate house and run next door (out of shot) but then I would end up with 3 chickens in this enormous house and run

Any help appreciated!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Dominant existing flock and new hens

Post by KarenE »

This sounds a tricky one. You're having a hard time to be sure.

You've done the right thing in separating them out and the coop set up looks fine. It sounds like you might have to seperate the hens again. Maybe this time put the new hens in the main run where the house is, help them get themselves established a bit more.

I wonder if blocking off the underneath of the house might help - it would stop them getting cornered there with no escape route?

The amount of time that it takes for introductions can be very variable, and it sounds like yours might need a longer integration time which may be unfortunate given your trip away. But they might also work themselves out by then.

Have you got a milder mannered old hen who you could pop in with the new ones? Split the groupings up a bit?

I would suggest having more feed and water stations, even if just in plastic tubs for now as having 1 feed & water station in each run can exacerbate the bullying. And put them as far away from each other as possible, so the bully hens can't cover them all at once.

About your bullies - is there a ringleader? Pick her up and carry her around, see if that helps to calm her down. A water pistol can be effective but you'll need to be constantly on duty for that.

Perhaps a few boredom busters in the run to divert attention away - hang up some cabbages and such, again far apart. Keep treats ie corn to a minimum or scrap altogether - I find that treats bring out the worst behaviour during integration but others claim they a re good distractions.

Someone on here used to say that putting a few cardboard boxes in helped, as it gave the bullied hens somewhere to hide behind - believing out of sight out of mind worked with chickens. Might be worth trying too, as long as they aren't blocking or cornering the new hens.

If there has been blood drawn, maybe get some purple spray or sudocreme on the wound - anything to cover the red, as the sight of blood can make them worse and might be adding to it.

When I'm integrating, I keep them seperate (apart from at night because I only have 1 coop) for at least 2 weeks, I get up at dawn to seperate, then they mingle in the garden where there's plenty of space to run away. Space is the key really. And any naughty behaviour and bullying like you describe is stopped with a water pistol (and a LOT of shouting).

If the worst comes to the worst, you may have to seperate them again when you go away, but see how things are. It's still far enough away that they may have calmed down by then.

Hopefully others will have some good ideas and tips for you )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper