Chicken regurgitated slightly yellow liquid

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Chicken regurgitated slightly yellow liquid

Post by stripeddonkey »

When I looked in on my chickens tonight, my 10 month old Barnevelder Hamble, started to cluck at me and brought up a little bit of slightly yellow liquid - I'm guessing two tablespoons worth max. There was no obvious smell and Hamble seemed unphased. She was as loud and alert as usual. The chickens had been in the coop for some four hours so hadn't had food or drink in this time. I felt Hambles crop and it was full as it normally is, not squidgy. What could this be?

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken regurgitated slightly yellow liquid

Post by KarenE »

Probably just a bit of fluid regurgitation. Check her first thing in the morning, to make sure her crop has gone down completely, and isn't squidgy or with a sour odour. It's probably nothing, I've had a few of mine do this over the years and they've not had crop problems.

Just keep an eye on her crop for a few days to be on the safe side, maybe add some acv in their water. And have a look to see what her poos are like too - obviously look for anything not normal.

Tomorrow if her crop hasn't gone down, there seems problems with it, her poos aren't usual or she seems off colour, then post back )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Thanks for the advice Karen. She is totally fine this morning. Crop empty and she is alert and eating well. Have let her and the others out into the garden for a bit and they are all inquisitive and chatty as normal.

These are my first hens and I have only had them seven months so I have still a lot to experience and learn. I had a sleepless night last night but hopefully this was just a blip. I will keep a close eye on her though.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sounds as if she will be fine - they do seem to do odd funny things from time to time (I'm sure it is just to keep us on our toes). I agree with Karen and the use of ACV - it does seem to do the chooks good and acts as a slight antiseptic to clean out the gut. Glad she seems fine this morning.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Sounds as if she will be fine - they do seem to do odd funny things from time to time (I'm sure it is just to keep us on our toes). I agree with Karen and the use of ACV - it does seem to do the chooks good and acts as a slight antiseptic to clean out the gut. Glad she seems fine this morning.

Many thanks. I'm still a bit stressed about the whole thing but Hamble seems fine now. The girls had a few hours in the garden and went to bed happy.