Preparing for ex batt hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Re: Preparing for ex batt hens

Post by HilierWard »

hi Maisie

Welcome :-D

Well done for having some ex-batties - they will bloom into the most amazing little girls )t'

It is truly a very special journey you will all have. You'll see such a transformation from pale, scared little things to confident, curious and lovable girls.

They will wrap their feathery wings around your heart! +f+

On the advice side of things, it sounds like you've got it covered. As boredom busters, Ive found that all the fancy toys you can buy on the internet don't come anywhere near hanging fruit and veg from the ceiling!

Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

Well we have been put in the garden all afternoon - hubby is still out there now bless him. I thought of another question as I was pottering around the garden, we have a very small pond, perhaps 1m x 1m (the smallest liner I could find, it's just for wildlife but we ended up with four small goldfish who are living ridiculously long lives!).

So, will the chooks need to be kept away from the water by means of a fence or are they ok to drink from it and potentially fall in? The water is beautifully clear and it's never been stagnant due to the amount of plants and biodiversity I have encouraged but it is a concern. I'm also sure a chook could flap enough to get out with ease.

Better to ask than be sorry!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not sure myself, but have read warnings on here.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

They will drink from it . You will never see a frog again and they will try for the fish . Eat the fish food and the weed.
Winter they are stupid enough to go skating .
So depending if you want a pond with life in it I would put a net / fence . Leave a space for the creatures to escape out the water from and the wild birds to drink at.
Bob
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

I happen to have found some wire shelving left over from a plastic cold frame/mini greenhouse that gave up the ghost and it fits perfectly with some rocks holding it down - strong enough to hold the weight of a couple of chickens too. Problem solved.

Hubby has only just come in for his tea after making all the adjustments and then pretending to be a fox to see if he could get in anywhere haha!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I second that - pictures are a must!! You sound like you have made a wonderful new home for your girls and that you have everything covered. Really hope you enjoy the experience and looking forward to hearing all about your new girls. It's wonderful that you have decided to give a second chance to these poor hard working ladies.
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

All ready, I think!

Virkon arrived and homemade foot bath constructed using some left over spongy packing strips fixed into an old seedling tray 60 x 60 ish.

Removeable roof for pen constructed and ready for use, the pen has mesh ceiling so leaving it off during the fine weather we have had the past week.

Diatom powder purchased in bulk and squirted into all nooks and crannies of hen house, whilst wearing masks and with much hilarity due to a few sudden gusts of wind (breeze really!). Also used it between hen house roof and the summer tarp covering. We plan to upgrade the hen house roof in preparation for winter, hubby was determined to complete the build using salvaged materials so lots of time to tweak and improve I guess.

The extension is planned, foundations laid, ready for an earth scratching area for them once they are established and confident in the current pen. It already has a wire base under the earth and we have built up the sides with decking board to minimise any mud flinging, hehe. I have been re arranging the garden all day, each time I found a worm I ran with it between finger and thumb to their planned scratching area, Mr Worm will probably be long gone by the time they get here but I suppose it's the thought that counts......

I also have poultry spice, purple spray and leg rings; so we can identify them once they are feathered up.

Flubivet and ivermectin (spelling?) to follow, always used ivermectin on my dads fancy birds and have read it's good for chickens.

I shall be sorting the bedding in the hen house shortly, I planned on newspaper base, covered with wood shavings and straw, lots of in case they are a bit bald. I have bought the dust extracted version of both but plan on looking into auboise and easi-bed.

Shall be able to clean the house out daily if needed but advice suggests maybe once per week will be enough?

Also, sorry to bore you! I have AVC which I'm not sure if I should give to them immediately? Same with the poultry spice?

A little over excited right now so sorry if I haven't made much sense, just want it all to be as good as it can be for their arrival.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi spoilt , they will all be rushing to come home with you.

Lucky girls that do.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maisie23 wrote:we have built up the sides with decking board to minimise any mud flinging, hehe.

I don't think I realised just how deep they would dig their dust-baths. Escape tunels.

Have fun, we can tell you're excited.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Goodness! you already sound like a mad chicken lady & you havent got them yet! We're all excited for you too.
I reckon you could put the ACV in straight away, not sure about the spice - they may not like the taste. You'll have to see how it goes & what works for you with the cleaning , I have a bucket & poop scooper & have a quick poop pick each day (which goes on the compost heap)& a full cleanout every few months. My posh chooks & bantams don't make much mess, but I remember where my batties slept would look like elephant- birds had pooped there! Also if your nestbox is in the coop it may get slept/pooped in which will get on the eggs.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

This is like a expectant father waiting for the girls to come home .
Hope all goes well.
Bob
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hoping it all goes well, certainly reads like it will :-D

Looking foward to reading your posts.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome