horse

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: horse

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I am not a total hermit , but a cave on a side of a mountain looks good as long as pizza delivers .
Bob
steveindenmark
Learner Laner

Post by steveindenmark »

Jannie and I have owned horses and it is a massive undertaking and they are far more tieing than a dog.

We have a big field above us which would look great with a couple of horses in and we can afford it. But they can take up a lot of capital and even more time. You can get someone to look after your dog for a weekend but looking after a horse is something different. Especially if something goes wrong.

Stabling, feed, farrier, Insurance, vet fees. Its never ending.

Selling them is not easy and you never ever buy just one horse. You may intend to. But that never seems to happen.

but I can understand why you may think it is a good idea.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hence I have not YET. Putting it about that if enough chip in we could get it stabled (sponsored ) Not a money thing really it is a time ,I just have not got it . If I stopped work maybe but cannot at the moment . Happy to pay the bills if somebody looked after it in the way I would like .
Not a cheap hobby and a animal life would be at stake .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi another bag of carrots for the horse today .
I am sure it must eat something else than carrots any suggestions. I was going to give it some corn but SHMBO said it would get psyco and run around the field burning it off .Cabbage but she say no. Apples not in season yet .
Bob
Maybe I should buy some , trouble then is I would have get even more apples and carrots.
Might even get a brush for SHMBO so as she can tied her up (for sale)....
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

As a note she has a photo ,actually many photos of her (horse)on her phone to show every one . Lucky her (horse ) I am not on it .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Bob - It sounds like SWMBO is getting very attached to 'her' horse. Are you still deciding what to do? What about buying some pony nuts. We used to feed our ponies on bran and oats (not too many oats or they will be hyper). We mixed them in a bucket with water and added what we called 'chop' (hay chopped up and mixed in to make them eat slower and aid digestion). This time of year when there is not much grazing they would be glad of a good meal. Love to see the photo's.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't want to sound negative but I know my daughter would be very annoyed if some random stranger started feeding her horses. She decides how much grass (electric fence), hard feed (pony nuts) and treats they get. She has just moved the fence so that they are eating old dry grass and less of the new grass that is coming up as they need to lose weight. *

Even cats can be a problem - friends had a 'poor starving cat' visiting them asking for food. Turned out it was diabetic and on a special diet at home.

*but rereading the thread, maybe the owners know about the carrots etc.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi latest up date and probably the last one .
Horse (she ) was sold last week and missing now from its fenced off area today . Price 800 pounds or there about`s .
Hope it has a good home to go to and is well looked after and will be missed by many people that stopped and walked miles to stroke it and pamper .
Bob