Petition to help hedgehogs

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Petition to help hedgehogs

Post by wildlifemad »

I hope this is ok to post (still in learner lane as to what is & isn't allowed!)
DEFRA have approved the use of the A24 trap in England (pending in Wales & Scotland), it will be used to kill rats & stoats BUT in New Zealand it is sold to kill hedgehogs which are non-native & viewed as a pest. Obviously if its used here for rats & stoats it will also kill hedgehogs which are a protected species. There is a petition to sign on the British Hedgehog Preservation Society to try & get this blocked. Please have a look & sign it if you care about wildlife.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Petition to help hedgehogs

Post by Richard »

New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

yike* How awful, I've signed
I accidently caught a hedgehog in my rat trap, luckily it was a humane cage one & I released it frightened but unharmed.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I went with a friend to visit a local hedge hog hospital yesterday. It is run by a dedicated elderly couple at their home. They have a large garden, intensive care, indoor and outdoor pens, and volunteers to help. They take in hundreds of hogs, getting them well again and releasing them back into the wild.

In preparation to their retirement they have been given a space in nearby Elsham Hall with permission to build a new hospital that can be run by the staff there, plus volunteers. They need to raise a lot of money for this. Any help appreciated.

http://www.andrewshedgehoghospital.org. ... hog-rescue

Ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have signed. My only dealings with DEFRA the other year and they were willing to allow goats being kept with no tags and obviously no movement paperwork either if no tags. I threw my hands in the air and eventually gave up. Sometimes you just cant beat the establishment no matter how hard you try.