Wet chooks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Wet chooks

Post by Maisie23 »

So I needed to pop out for groceries today, despite it being overcast and chilly, no rain was forecast. Cue the typical British weather, a brief but heavy downpour and I came home to three utterly and totally soaked chooks {cry}

They have cover inside and under the coop, I do have a cover for the pen but hadn't put it on as no actual rain was forecast.

I let them straight out in the hope they would run about and get dry but tonight they still look rather skinny and damp. They were all spiritedly active despite their sodden state but that may be to do with the excitement of free ranging >shrug<

They had a small amount of corn as I'd read that helps them stay warm overnight but short of toweling them off I don't really know how to handle this longer term?

Obviously they don't understand what rain is but will they always stay out in it? I can cover the run permanently but that won't help much if they are free ranging and choose not to go in. I don't fancy running about each time there is a shower, scooping them up and putting them in the pen, although I just know I will )w(

Any help or advice much appreciated

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Wet chooks

Post by KarenE »

No they'll be fine. If they are free ranging they will find a bush or something to shelter under if they want, or they may just dash about in it. You could make sure there's somewhere covered for them to shelter under if they want, like a table or something. If they are soaking and you're worried about them, you could blow dry them (yes really) or towel dry but remember the wild birds cope well enough. They will preen the worst of the water off.

You could give them some warm mash before bed, that will be like chicken ready brek )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

Thanks Karen - we had a fantastic sunny spell from about half six so I went into the garden and let them out again, it's amazing what half an hour of sun can do! Had the new part of the run covered all day so uncovered it and hey presto some free range dust bathing in the evening sun.

Very lucky we get sun all day in the garden, it may be small but it is perfectly placed )app(

Grabbed some pics too, still sat inside with back door open listening to them hehe
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi my girls do not mind getting wet . Does not harm them . Worms come up and the ground is easy to scratch up. Part of the fun like children with gum boots on . Do not worry unless a sneeze occurs . It is good to get them used to the hair dryer as when they need a rear end wash they will not put up a fight.
When the weather is wet my garden is the Somme and the girls are in the bomb holes .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I found that mine didn't like to go inside, but when I made a spare arc by hinging 2 rectangles of wood together (and attaching a couple of triangles as doors at the ends with baler twine & cup-hooks when I wanted to close it - very Heath Robinson) they went under there as they could see out. Well that was my theory anyway.

I think their outer feathers keep the rain off them and those underneath keep them warm. Trust their instincts, only worry if they stand around looking miserable. When they go in for the night they can huddle together and generate quite a lot of heat too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire