giving pills to dogs

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
kitla
Legendary Laner

giving pills to dogs

Post by kitla »

My elderly dog Toffee has been prescribed a course of Zentonil, liver tabs. I was horrified at the cost at the vets (£122 for a months!), more horrified when I found out they dont actually contain any dr-ugs so didnt need a prescription, and livid when I found I could buy them for £45 online, (but the vet wont take them back once they're left the building). Stupid of me for not checking all this before I picked them up :( Anyway, my next frustration is actually trying to give them to Toffee - one hour before food, on an empty stomach! They are bloomin great things, even cut in half! She is the fussiest dog known to man, with a pointy little greyhound type face. Pills just dont slip down amongst jowles & slobber like with other dogs. I'm going to start them in a week, meanwhile I'm looking for a selection of ideas to disguise them (she'll soon catch on) Anyone?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Re: giving pills to dogs

Post by wendy »

I grate some cheese and wrap the tablet into a ball o cheese. Usually works.
Or you can grind them up and do the same.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Cheese, as Wendy says, or butter (salt free?), ham, cocktail sausage. Cream cheese used to work with my ferrets, or greek yoghurt (super thick).

Have you considered grinding the tablet? not all can be ground up though.
Stick it between 2 spoons and get grinding. Can then be mixed in with whatever medium you are using as bribery, but obviously once ground it is easier to mix in with something like cream cheese or yoghurt, rather than something more solid, such as meat.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Found this online.
Zentonil Administration Guide
For optimal absorption, ZENTONIL should be administered on an empty stomach (i.e. at least one hour before or two hours after feeding).

To protect ZENTONIL from destruction by stomach acids, tablets should not be split or crumbled.

In cases where it is difficult for the owner to administer a tablet, ZENTONIL may be disguised in a small bite of food or treat.

Good luck.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

So there you go, no grinding.
Well done Mo :)
)like(
wendy

Post by wendy »

To be honest they all say they shouldn't be ground up.
But if the question is no pills or ground ones. Then I go for the ground.
Owt is better than nowt.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Have to laugh , I got these pils from vets . Not a problem dog taking them it is trying to get them out of the bottle . Had to break it up and lost a bit somewhere . Must have forced them into the bottle .
have another go tomorrow.
9 more in it .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

thankyou all, thanks Mo for that info. If it's ok to put them in a bit of food I'll try a slice of low fat sausage, the "empty stomach" bit was going to be a problem.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hope you can get the pills down easily, Kitla.
I have always used either cheese or ham when Bella was alive. Have pill in piece of ham or cheese and another piece of ham or cheese dangling in front of her nose for her to have straight after pill piece, always worked a treat.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've been wrapping her current pills in thin ham, but they are tiddly, these are big & harder to disguise, her dainty, pointy face means she tends to chew rather than slurp it down. To make it harder Toffee had pancreatitis a year or so ago, so is on a permanent low fat diet, I have to be really careful.
--Immanuel Kant