Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by KarenE »

HP, we had a good chat at the henpals meeting and we're all up for another meet up in the summer, but this time you name the date!

How are you & Wiggy doing?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

AAARGH. had a phone call after I had written a great big essay but before I had pressed submit - and it logged me out and the post disappeared!

So, I started by saying how absolutely lovely you all are, and that I will have a think and get out my calendar! {hug&kiss} Looks like you had a great time.

Wiggy is very happy.

I will try to remember the rest and post it later.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I suppose, if I had to be left with a lone hen, then Wiggy was the one best suited for the role. She has always been a bit apart, a little bit of a daydreamer, the bottom hen of five, four, three - and then a rather happier existence for a year as the vaguely equal but mostly-bottom-hen of two (although who can forget the brief spell as top hen while Miranda was moulting - ah, those were the days). Perhaps it is a relief just to be able to be herself. I mean, there are those who might be unkind and say she is happy because she isn't the smartest hen in the world, but to that I would say "How very dare you? She is just happy because she is a cheerful little soul, one of nature's rays of sunshine (and because she gets all the treats to herself)".

She is, of course, being spoilt rotten and is enjoying being a very enthusiastic (for which read: unhelpful) gardening companion, right on top of anything I am trying to dig, bustling about as if to say, "No, no, you're doing that all wrong. Get out of the way. I'll do it." Then kicking her legs at ungainly angles as she does the heavy earth removal for me, chest-butting my hand, allowing her comb to brush my fingers. She doesn't like to be touched so this is a mark of how involved she is in her chores. (She did walk across my legs the other day, but this was just to get to food, so don't go reading "lap sitter" into that.)

The vet said he thought that, since three of my five hens had suffered from EYP (of course Cupid never got a chance) that it was likely they had had a virus which caused the fallopian tubes to become damaged. If so, he said, Wiggy - even if she was immune - would be a carrier, so he felt I shouldn't get more hens while I had her.

I don't really know what to think about that - how could we know for sure? There was a gap of 18 months or thereabouts between Ginger and Miranda, and EYP is so common, perhaps it was coincidence. I don't know. He did say that if they were Point-of-Lay from a source which vaccinated (they were) they should have been immunised against it. But it would have been a spray, so I guess it's a bit haphazard. If it turned out that the vet was right, and if Wiggy did turn out to be immune, that might make some sense, since the other girls were all in a massive barn with loads of other hens, while Wiggy was with the other Skylines in a small run, so presumably they would have been more likely to get caught by a spray.

Right at the beginning of my chickening adventures, within the first few months, the girls got some respiratory thing that they should have been immunised against. (Actually, I think that was what led me to DTL !) So it seems the whole vaccine thing is a bit hit and miss.

I keep saying I'm going out to spend time with "the chickens" and then having to correct myself. It's sad and I miss my polite Miranda, but I find it comforting that Wiggy isn't sad or pining. She is just Wiggy-ing away as always - my huge happy heffalump hen.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's good to hear that my god-hen Wiggy is doing well and is a happy little soul {hug} If she misses company, we can arrange a Woo-Lend perhaps as we seem to have a few to choose from now :-D

That is really interesting what your vet said. I have read before that respiratory infections can affect egg works - you would think that odd as they are seperate parts of the system, but for some reason are very interlinked in chickens. I would say that if you do decide to get more hens, you could give a course of tylan as a precaution when you first get them. When I had respiratory disease going through my flock, Remie, Ronnie and then Juno and Tiggs all got it within their first week so they were on a course of Tylan as soon as I realised. Obviously there was something hanging around, looking back I can see it now. And now I wonder whether their deaths were because of the respiratory infection that perhaps had weakened them. (Toffee, Nugget, Juno - all def respiratory; Remie, Cassie & maybe Gabby - tumours; Tigger, Casper - unknown; Ronnie - resp infection as secondary to what I think was enteritus). That's a sad little list {hug} but on the positive side it sems to have gone now. Interesting point about the vaccine )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad to hear the Wiggleton Wooster of Woosworth is doing well )like( That is a strange one your vet has said. I am going to put it to Chris next time (which I hope will be ages)I go up.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Would you, Sandy? I would be very interested to get another point of view on it.
Thank you.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Wiggy had a narrow squeak the other day, when a hawk nearly had her - not helped by the fact that she is laying regularly, so is in crouch-mode if you make a sudden move. The hawk was circling less than 10ft above Wigs but luckily my daughter was out there keeping the Woo company and reading. She heard that strange eerie screech birds of prey make, grabbed the crouching Wiggy and ran in to the (thankfully covered) run.

Lucky it wasn't one of the ginormous buzzards we have seen round here recently - one of those could practically have lifted both of them.

Our lovely next door neighbours have moved - to be replaced by some very nice, but not entirely chicken-loving people. Oh well. They are very kind though - their pond, which under the last owners contained massive 3ft long Koi, has become the new home of two surprisingly chivalrous male ducks and a female with a broken leg, who is being taken great care of by her husbands. The new neighbours have gone out and got special feed for the ducks, but they do hope to turn the pond back into a swimming pool for their young children, so I guess when they do the ducks will have to find a new home. There are plenty of ponds around here, so it shouldn't be too hard.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Phew Wiggy being carried off would have been dreadful yike* Thank goodness she is okay, now HP you know the way into the neighbours hearts , give them a Woo egg
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

My next door neighbour is planning on getting some hens & I was running through some of the breeds with her. I suddenly found myself telling her she could get a Wiggly Woo..then laughed when I realised what I'd just said! I then couldnt remember the proper name of the breed & I couldnt even remember why wiggly woos are called wiggly woos, so I just had to describe one - which in itself sound rather funny! However she did like the sound of a woo & would like to know what it is, could you help me out please!?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Haha, Kitla! Fame at a last. She will be chuffed.
She is a skyline which is a legbar hybrid
http://www.motherhenspoultry.com/skylineblues.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually the egg colours don't just vary from hen to hen but from egg to egg - although Wiggy's are always blueish, they vary quite a lot. Rather pretty.

Hi Sandy )wav(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

French Marans I think , Also my girls have white side checks and a brown side checks .Never lay blue eggs.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The woos aren't french marans - they are cream legbars, with the Master Woo a skyline as HP says )t'

Kitty, if your neighbour is after a Woo they sometimes have them in Mini Meadows Farm, and I got Dory from the Poultry Centre in Towcester. Let your neighbour know that Woos are more expensive than your usual chicken though, because of their sheer specialness!

HP - awful to hear Wiggy was nearly dinner for a hawk! yike* Are you sure it wasn't an eagle?? How big are your hawks????
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

HenPen wrote:Would you, Sandy? I would be very interested to get another point of view on it.
Thank you.

Ooh Henny so sorry, took Rita to the vets and totally forgot :oops:
And before christmas is upon us let us know a date(s) and a convenient place for you for the third henpal mums and dads meet up >ck<

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Definitely will do, re a meet up.

No worries Sandy. Although if anyone does have a chance to ask their vet that question, I would be very interested.

Meanwhile, back with the Woo. I am feeling horrible because poor Wiggy knocked her water sometime yesterday, I suppose it must have been quite early. I went to check on her the first time I had a chance, which was after lunch and saw the bone dry drinker in that heat, so took it off to refill. As I came back with it, she raced over to me, in her hilarious ungainly way, and started drinking out of it while I was holding it. She must have been drinking non-stop for, well, it felt like almost 10mins. Poor thirsty girl. So I'm off out now to rig something up to stop her being able to tip her drinker.

However, on a brighter note, I have just remembered that I haven't posted the photos of Wiggy's recent away day, so I will prepare to do battle with photo bucket and get that up later.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi HP - I as wondering what the question was?? Can't seem to find it!! Having, unfortunately, been to the vets a few times with girls over the last five years, I wondered if I could help??