Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry Mary has gone. It is so hard and I think Bob has put it perfectly. In time you will remember the good times with her, and you'll tuck her away in your heart where she will come and visit every now and then when you remember her {hug}

I would say though, that we have all been there and experienced our own individual versions of what you are going through - so please know that you have people here who understand and are always willing to listen should you want to talk, or simply reminisce about Mary.

Finally - do please post a memorial to her in the Henpals Rainbow Bridge log if you would like to. It's a lovely way of marking their passing

{hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I can't thank you all enough for your kind words ... brought me to tears (again). It is so lovely to be able to be in contact with people who share your passion and understand just what it can be like to keep these wonderful creatures - the ups and the downs!! After having three of my previous girls drained and having an amount of success with the procedure I was really hopeful that things would turn out differently for Mary. I was all geared up for the next step of having the implant to buy her some more quality time. The vet did say to me that once she was drained he could still feel some lumpy bits. I tend to think that she had tumours. She never ever picked up when I brought her home from the vets so I had it in my mind to take her back this morning to have her PTS. Although upset, I feel so relieved that she fell asleep in her own home with all her familiar surroundings and she and me did not have to go through the trauma of going back to the vets. Yes Bob, you definitely do have to "live in the moment" with these girls. That's actually a good philosophy for life in general. Going to treasure and enjoy every possible moment with Rose and Violet. At the end of the day they are only lent to us and it is up to us to look after them the best way we can while they are here. My husband put things in perspective for me when he said that I have achieved what I wanted to achieve with Mary (albeit not a long enough life) but to give her a happy, free content life with lots of love.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Cheshire chick.
I am so sorry that your much loved Mary has passed away.
We love them so much and our heart breaks when we lose them, but as your husband has said you provided her with love and care and that is all they ask for.
I have lost a few over time and it hurts a lot every time but it is so worth having them and seeing them enjoying the sun and freedom.
Store your memories and enjoy Violet and Rose.If you want to talk i can PM you my phone number or just post on here as we all understand how you feel right now. {hug}
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

CC I am so sorry you have lost to read you have lost your dear girl Mary {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks so much for your kind words Amber and Sandy. On a happier note than it has been recently, Rose and Violet have had a lovely weekend in the garden with me in the sunshine (and that's what it's all about). When they have been in their run they have been hanging around their gate trotting up and down and not amusing themselves like they would do normally in their run. They are fine when they are out in the garden. I definitely think that they miss Mary - they probably don't remember a day without Mary (who was definitely the boss). So it must be strange for them at the moment. But they are doing OK and they have each other and I have them so the three of us will plod along together.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Felt a little bit sorry for my little girls today. They seem to be at a lose end and are constantly wanting my attention. They have a perch in their run and 2 two tier tables where they like to sit and have a preen. There are also holes where they have their dust baths. I thought I would try to give them something else to think about so I made a simple shelf for treats out of 2 bricks and a piece of wood (only small, but wide enough to scatter some bird seed and meal worms on). Well, would they go near it!!?? Not a chance. Spent all morning avoiding it. They stretched their necks to try to pick off one of their favourite treats after about 3 hours, but would not go any nearer. They are funny creatures. I'll leave it in for a day or so to see if they get the hang of it but at the moment they are not convinced this funny contraption is not going to attack them.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I have the same problem with the sandpit I have provided the girls with for dustbathing - I have no idea why I even try. I usually put it in when the weather is grim or (as in this case) when they are inside for long periods - total waste of time.

Mind you, a shelf covered with treats - now that's bound to become their favourite thing fairly quickly, I'm sure. You'll probably go out later and find all the treats gone and the whole thing covered with footprints and poo!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi what you need to remember they are training you not the other way round.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Rose and Violet enjoying some garden time this morning in the sunshine. P.S. The "Snack Bar" has gone - they just wouldn't entertain it!!!!
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi Cheshire Cick

your girlies are gorgeous :-D
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good morning everybody. Hope all's well with you and your flocks. I've not told Rose & Violet yet, but they are going on their holidays tomorrow. That means a short car trip in the dreaded cat basket. Once they are in the car they are fine and travel really well (they just settle down, bless them), but the sight of me going down the garden with the cat basket sends them into a panic. They go to a nice lady who has a perfect set up to look after chickens and they will spend next week there while we are on holiday. It's so nice to go with peace of mind that they are being well looked after. I'll have to give them a good run around the garden tonight when I get home from work. We also have another nice lady that comes to our house to look after the cats while we are away. I hate leaving the cats as I know that they will miss us so much, but they will be safe and well feed in their own home. So all, have a lovely chicken keeping weekend and I'll catch up with the Forum on my return from hols - no doubt Rose & Violet will have lots of adventures to tell me about their holiday.