My new rescue chooks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

My new rescue chooks

Post by Bluefinch »

I picked them up this morning and they are in the run/house. I have just shut them up for the night and there is already an egg for me. What good girls. At last I have someone to give my kitchen scraps to again. I am so pleased to have hens again.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: My new rescue chooks

Post by KarenE »

It's lovely to hear you've given your new girls a home and a second chance of life, and especially of course a pampered retirement! )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

All happy this morning. Another egg although they are not laying in the nesting boxes yet and a soft egg - must remember to get some grit.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So lovely that you have got rescue girls - How many did you get? Good luck with your chooks - would love to see some photo's. )like(
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I got four. One of them feels very light but they all seem healthy. Will take some pics once I let them out.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi a few weeks with you and you will be surprised . I got a very little rescue girl , Small so called Minnie .
Now I cannot tell the difference with the others with out checking her legs for rings .
So good to see .
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

They seem to be a happy bunch. I let them out of the run yesterday for most the day and they come when I call them and I love hearing them chatting away. One egg this morning too. My young cat doesn't quite know what to make of them yet.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

One of the chooks is still very thin although eating. What can I give her to beef her up a bit?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Is she eating okay? And she isn't being bullied away from food by the others?

Good protein boosts are dried mealworms & sunflower seeds although not too many as too much can be fattening. Sardines in tomato sauce are also good. And scrambled eggs (no milk just the egg). The simplest thing is also to make a porridge of their pellets - they usually love this. Just make sure she's getting enough intake first.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thank you for the advice Karen. She seems to be eating okay and no sign of any bullying although she is definitely quieter than the others. I am giving them dried mealworms - will continue with that and try the porridge with the pellets.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad that your girls are doing well and are obviously enjoying their new home. I am sure that the thin girl will be fine (just like us they are all different) and if she is eating and drinking ok then I wouldn't worry. Karen's right about the mealworms (although not too many), but they are a good source of protein. I give my girls scrambled egg and crush the egg shells up in it as well (as another source of calcium). Good luck and enjoy your girls.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Just found a third egg for today. That's the first time 3 eggs. They are good girls!