Dried mealworms

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Dried mealworms

Post by Bluefinch »

I couldn't believe the cost when I went to buy a bag the other day. Where do you get yours from? Are they always expensive? I remember buying them for my last two chickens but don't remember being surprised at the cost. My latest hens certainly love them.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Dried mealworms

Post by kitla »

I get them from £stretchers or wilco's, usually about £1 per 100gms. But I think you could get them cheaper in larger amounts from ebay etc
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I buy 10 Kilos at a time 44 in flock small amount would be gone in 60 seconds . Not cheap and SHMBO is always moaning at the expense . SUET wild bird food I have tried as a sub , Sun flower hearts . But Meal worms are the one to get the girls running .
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Go on to Amazon and buy in bulk. They keep fine.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks. I will check out the various places for them.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

B&M have 400g tubs for £4.99 but I had the same size for £3.99 from Home & Bargain last week!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

We buy ours on Ebay. 12.5kg for £64.89! cheapest we could find, comes in 2.5kg bags, so you don't need to open a huge bag all at once. Already onto the 2nd bag!
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

That's a good deal HH. I just bought a small quantity at my local Saver shop and they were £1.50 per 100 grams.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi
That's expensive. I usually buy mine from £stretcher (89p), home bargains (99p) or pound shops - all 100g bags
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Yes, very expensive. I never thought of looking in the Poundshop last time I was there. I asked in the place where I get the chicken food from and they were £19 per kilo. Their treats might be rationed at that price. I tried them on cauli leaves yesterday which my other chooks loved but they didn't know what to do with them.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I buy 10 kilos from E bay about 55 pounds corn mill products .
Do sunflower hearts and many other bits ,
6.50pounds is my mixed corn with the birds on the front from local farm shop , Straw 2.50 pounds a bale , hay for rabbit 5.00pounds a bale . Sawdust 5 .00 pounds a huge plastic bag . Pellets are 6.90 pounds .
Bob