Layer's pellets

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Layer's pellets

Post by Bluefinch »

Sorry for lots of questions but my girls don't seem that keen on the pellets. I have a whole sack of them so don't want to change at the moment. What do your girls like - pellets or mash? The pheasant couple don't have any problem with them though!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Layer's pellets

Post by kitla »

My lot dont eat loads of pellets in summer, too much else in the garden! They are also quite picky about which pellets they get, they like smallholder & organix the best! I think the pellets are a smaller size than some others. They used to love layers mash but arent so bothered about it now. I think the best time to get them to eat up is first thing when they get up and they like a good nosh before bed. If you're worried you could shut them in the run at those times with no alternative foods perhaps?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Kitla that is what I am doing now. I feed them first thing while they are still in the run and late afternoon when I put them back in the run. The rest of the day they are free ranging in the garden so I suppose they get plenty to eat that way. I am also leaving them in the run until mid morning for the eggs. If I let them out into the garden first thing I only get one egg but if I leave them until mid morning I get two. So I reckon one of them has possibly been laying elsewhere but I cannot find where!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh yes you must have a hidden nest somewhere! I've found a few of those usually tucked under a shrub!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant