Worms and worming hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Worms and worming hens

Post by Bluefinch »

Have just noticed that at least one hen has worms. Maybe should have wormed them when I first got them. How do I treat worms and is it okay to eat the eggs if they have worms and while treating them? Sorry for yet another question.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Worms and worming hens

Post by KarenE »

Hi Bluefinch

It's disgusting when you find wriggling poo!

Use flubenvet to worm them - you can get it in powder form which you add to their food for a week, or you can get it pre-added to Marriages pellets which is a more straightforward way of feeding it, although you are usually left with loads over and sadly the medication doesn't stay active for long so they are a bit of a waste unless you can get a small quantity. But much more convenient than measuring and adding the powdered form.

Some people myself included just use the grape method with the powder - cut a grape into quarters, put one of the cut sides down into the powder and then the fun begins - making sure each chicken gets 1 quarter and 1 quarter only! But be aware that this isn't the recommended and scientific way of administering it

Either way, you treat for 7 days and no treats or other food during that time, to make sure they are taking in the medication. It usually clears the worms up in a few days. And re-treat every 4-6 months, as they pick up worms especially if free ranging.

It's also worth getting some harkermectin in to treat lice as well, as they are another regular pest for chickens. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks Karen, will get some of the treatment tomorrow. The grape method sounds good although not sure how I would separate them for their doses!

Is it safe to eat the eggs while treating them?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, there's no egg withdrawal with flub )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

My girls love mash (pellets and water) so I usually add a dose of medication to that each day for a week and they all eat it. Just easier than mixing with the dry pellets!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Milliemagpie
Learner Laner

Post by Milliemagpie »

Hi everyone
I am a new hen owner and have yet to worm my hens. I have read that using raw Apple Cider Vinegar is good for controlling worms but have been trying to find a supplier who can sell me Flubenvet. I have only three hens: Dolly, Betty & Agatha. The minimum pellet/Flubenvet quantities appear to be 5kg....Over a weeks treatment, my girls would only consume about 3kg & the medication doesn't keep longer than a few weeks. In powder form, I can only find it in 100g supplies. Any advice would be gratefully received...it seems such a waste to have to throw away the leftovers....
Thanks
Janet
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Hi Millimagpie. I wasn't able to get Flubenvet but did get some wormer from my local pet store. It was mixed with water and I have not seen any worms since. That reminds me I should do it again just in case.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

My powder flubenvet which I buy from my vet comes in a box of 600mg and has a years date on it. I use half of it then the other half six months later so that the box lasts a year. I too, mix it in mash which quickly gets consumed so I know they all get some. I have 7 bantams and put the mash in four tiny dishes spaced apart and watch over them to make sure they all get some. This works very well for me.
Milliemagpie
Learner Laner

Post by Milliemagpie »

Thanks Bluefinch and ChickenCarol. I'llcheck my local store to see what's available and I need to take Lily to the vet for her booster vacc next week, so I'll enquire about Flubenvet...glad to hear that it's got a decent shelf-life

Janet :-D
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

What was the liquid wormer you got Bluefinch? If it was vermx its unlikely to rid them of all the worms, its a natural herbal remedy that's more of a preventative as it claims to improve their gut health. There is a liquid wormer that contains the same basic product as flubenvet but I cant remember its name, I think it begun with S, I'll have look.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Kitla it is called Chicken Wormwood. Seems to be a herbal one. Not seen any worms since and the chooks seem to be in good health.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It'd be good to have some reputable alternatives, as I need to get some more wormer and frankly can't face paying £25 or so for a tub of flub! And the pellets don't go down well.

I haven't come across chicken wormwood, I'll look it up. In the meantime I have added acv to their water and might pop a crushed clove of garlic in, as I don't think mine have worms anyway
Karen
Milliemagpie
Learner Laner

Post by Milliemagpie »

Viovet are selling 50ml of Chicken Wormwood for £4.69 at the moment....thanks for the tip, also about garlic (didn't know this)

Janet )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I send mine to a health farm and get them to do it as I always let them get their way on treats....
Does not add to much to the bill over the 3 weeks.
Bob
Have to go away for holidays 2 times a year just to worm them.....