Ex-batts and egg laying

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Ex-batts and egg laying

Post by Bluefinch »

I have now had my four girls for four weeks. I was getting one or two eggs a day and finding the odd one under the hedge until a few days ago. They now seem to have stopped laying (unless the wanderer has found somewhere else to lay although I can't find where!). Is this how it goes. Do you think they might start laying again?

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Ex-batts and egg laying

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

They are having a rest ,will (should ) lay some more soon. This is why farmers get rid and get replacements as they do not feed them when not getting a return (eggs )
Do not worry , they will start again but watch out for smaller /deformed eggs as they have to start their bodies up to egg laying again.
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I thought that would be the case Bob. I certainly don't have them just for the eggs but fresh eggs are certainly a bonus. They are spending a lot of time in their dust baths at the moment!
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Just been to put them to bed and there was an egg! Maybe they are starting to lay again.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi there combs should be going bright red.
Watch out for softies and problem eggs as it normally is the start and end of laying that causes the most problems and give them some shells and extra treats.
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I seem to be getting two eggs a day again - one first thing and the second late afternoon. I am giving them grit and shells. Their combs are nice and red too. Happy, cheeky girls they are. I spend so much time going and checking them, watching them and giving them treats!