Fowl Pox

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Fowl Pox

Post by albertajune »

I noticed a few days ago that my only girl Rosie has a few dark raised spots on her face. On researching for hours on the internet, I am sure that it is fowl pox, a virus for which there is no treatment.
She is acting and feeding as normal and as yet showing no signs of being sick. I have seen no recommendation that fowl with this virus should be PTS, only if it gets to the point of affecting their breathing. All that a vet might do is give antibiotics in case the spots become infected.

I feel quite upset that she has this as she is living alone and it is usually passed on with flock birds. I have looked after her I think as I should have and none of my past birds have ever had this. Apparently it can be passed on through an insect bite. Their are lots of people around where I live that keep chickens as well as poultry farms, so who knows what I may have come from.

What I would like to know is, has anyone else here had to deal with this virus and did their birds survive. The spots are not easily seen, but as she spends a lot of time looking through my patio doors, I happened to spot a couple when talking to her. I do hope it is something that clears up with time as virus that we get do.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Fowl Pox

Post by sandy »

June so sorry just seen this post, how is Rosie doing? Nt heard of this disease before >coc<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

She is good and back to normal thanks Sandy. I had not heard of it before either but noticed a few dark spots on her comb and face near her eye. On researching it I saw photos which showed affected chickens with exactly the same spots.
It is the equivalant pox to human chicken pox and lasts for up to 2 wks. The only time it can be a problem is if the eyes or nasal area are affected. The spots appear on featherless areas, ie face cob, wattle or legs. There is no reatment but if eyes or nasal area show puss the chicken may need vet treatment to help stop bacteria infection.

Just as well to know, just in case!
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Sorry albertajune I totally missed your post, a while ago I thought a couple of mine had the virus but it turned out the spots were just scabs from a being pecked! From reading up about it at the time I understand there are two types of Fowl Pox: wet and dry. Also there is a vaccine against the virus which is often spread by mosquito bites or by other chickens ingesting the pox scabs as they fall off.

Glad to hear your Rosie is recovering.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hi June. Sorry, I missed this too! Glad to hear she has recovered though x
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Rosie is fine and the pox didn't affect her at all. If I had not seen the spots I would have had no idea that anything was wrong.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I had that ( Chicken Pox .....)
Bob
Everyone new I had it though .