cacti

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

cacti

Post by albertajune »

These were bought as tiny cacti 2yrs ago as a gift from a neighbour whos cat I fed while he was on holiday. Not usually a lover of cacti but this flower is spectacular.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: cacti

Post by lancashire lass »

Beautiful flower )like(
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You must be treating it right.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

:?
Mo wrote:You must be treating it right.

I dont normally like cacti. Prickly things that just sit there so banished to the greenhouse. They got bone dry and then sat in water which must be what they like. Glad I kept them. )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

albertajune wrote::?
Mo wrote:You must be treating it right.

I dont normally like cacti. Prickly things that just sit there so banished to the greenhouse. They got bone dry and then sat in water which must be what they like. Glad I kept them. )t'

actually, cacti normally grow where water is sparse. Cacti have evolved so that (1) any rain water will be directed towards its roots (2) they have no leaves (so minimise water loss) although these may be modified as thorns and spines to protect from being eaten by animals, and (3) the body of the plant is a water store. In severe droughts, the plant will start to shrivel up but is still alive (the perfect choice for those people who forget to water their house plants!) but when watered, will return to its original shape. Ideally, do not soak cacti in trays of water or water the plant itself as they are prone to rot, and better to do the watering in stages - despite lack of water, plants still grow and if you water too much in one go, the body of the plant can split as it absorbs as much water as possible (usually recoverable but leaves a scabby looking scar)

But the other thing about watering cacti after a long dry period, it encourages the plants to flower (a survival response to produce seed in case the next drought kills it off) Treating cacti with kindness doesn't always produce flowers, you have to be mean with them!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So pretty June. I had one like the one on the left years since, and started collecting them. One I had given went all over with me, but I no longer have it. I do have a Christmas and Easter cactus - the latter now in bud!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Now that is pretty. )like(
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

The flower only lasted for a day but more coming. Getting quite excited waiting for them.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Anymore flowers yet, June?