Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

ha ha, little madams! I just went out to see if Poppy & Daisy had gone to bed yet & found them having a late night dustbath in the favourite earthy hollow.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

The fence is down and Poppy & Daisy are in the garden with Bill )c( There was one tiny fight then Poppy kept an arms length from Bill & they set off exploring. Bill tried very hard to get their attention but they mostly ignored him. They explored together
ImageImage
Bill kept watch
But he didnt give up, eventually he brought them to the door for treats
When it started tipping down with rain they didnt care, so poor Bill had to get wet with them
His patience paid off in the end, he made Daisy "one of his girls"! Poppy will need a bit more time. They're still out there exploring but I can see Bill wants to go to bed, he'll give up soon. I wonder where the two will choose to sleep tonight.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Poppy & Daisy own our garden now! Bonny has made herself the boss while queen Beany is still broody. Every so often she reminds them with a peck & a feather tug, but she and little Nettle mostly hang out under a shrub while Poppy & Daisy spend all day scratching & exploring with Bill who never leaves their sides! As they dont go to bed till the sun goes down - about 9.30, Bill is getting tired out, today I picked him up & he fell asleep on my knee (something he's never done before) ~eep~
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poppy and Daisy are gorgeous )t' now how come you can post photos and mine are still not uploading on here }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sandy wrote:Poppy and Daisy are gorgeous )t' now how come you can post photos and mine are still not uploading on here }hairout{

It takes several goes lately Sandy. I now always copy my post at each stage incase it goes wrong.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh Bill! why?! He attacked me this afternoon. He was with Poppy & Daisy, they followed me up the garden, I stepped into the run with my back to him & thud! Both feet into my calf & this time he got me with his spurs. Nothing serious done & I shouted at him, chased him, then carried him around for a bit. I can deal with him when it only happens once in a while, but I'm worried about the elderly neighbour that minds them when we're away. I love Bill, he's normally so friendly and gentle, I cant have an aggressive cockerel free ranging the garden. You better watch it Bill! In the meantime I'm looking for some way of blunting his spurs. I trim the ends off but they grow back very fast, there must be something I can cover them with.
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh no naughty Bill ... Perhaps it's Spring in the air and having new girls has got him all excited and hot under the feathers. I bet it will pass though and he will settle down again soon. He doesn't realise what a lucky boy he is!!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw naughty Bill yike* Kitty our post office postman wants to know the best way to make his boy's spurs save? He had heard putting a baked potato on them helps >dum<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Visions of Bill walking about with 2 potaotes stuck on his spurs! {rofwl}
I did think about little corks or something. But realistically I think the only way is to regularly trim the points off, they grow back pretty quick, perhaps filling them down might be better but tricky.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's spring and Bill has two new ladies to dance to - of course he's full of hormones and will be protecting his ladies from awful big bad you! Naughty Bill :-D

Poppy and Daisy look absolutely lovely, and it's so good to see they have settled in so well and have become best buddies. Such a wonderful life they will have with you and the other Opolouses. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bill hasnt shown any more aggression, though I prefer not to turn my back on him when he's nearby! Perhaps it was just something I was doing at the time that he percieved as a threat. We still have a rat visiting during the day, but it's failed to dig into the run- defences are holding. We think it lives in next door's compost heap, she thought it was a hedgehog hole! Little Giblet is still broody, it's been quite a long time & she's quite lightweight now, I've noticed over the years she sometimes turns broody when somethings frightened her, I thought she was coming out of it but has gone back on, I wonder if the rat is scaring her when it comes to get her food. Big Beany is off her nest now & has stopped scrapping with the new girls, I'm not sure if she's still Queen of the flock, mad Bonny regularly beats up Poppy so perhaps she's claiming top spot. Little nettle sticks close to big Bonny, they do make a funny looking pair, but I'm glad because with her failing eyesight she needs a minder. Miss piggy is still bottom hen, being a broody just makes it worse, running around all puffed up makes them all have a go at her, hopefully she's about to come out of it. Then maybe we'll get a few eggs, )c( I'm buying them again at the moment. Even Daisy hasnt been laying for a few days, she still goes into the nestbox but sometimes doesnt produce anything. I checked her out & she seems ok, perhaps she forages too much & doesnt eat enough layers pellets, so I've put some "shell-aid" in the water & an extra pot of oyster shell by the nest. Probably not much point as Daisy insists on drinking from the birdbath rather than anywhere else! (not very hygenic!)
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

uh-oh! Daisy prolapsed this morning while she was trying to poop. I wrapped her in a towel & brought her in for a while. She enjoyed being fussed & relaxed sat on my lap, and the prolapse (quite a small one) went back in on its own. I thought there was a slight click to her breathing too. She still hasnt produced another egg so I'm suspicious there's a problem in there, so I've made an appointment with the chicken vet tomorrow. I hope we can fix her, Poppy would be heartbroken to lose her friend. I've never had to deal with a prolapse before.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, hope it goes alright.
Thinking of you.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well Daisy laid an egg yesterday, it was fairly large, she had no more problems with her back end yesterday & she seems fine this morning. So I've cancelled the vets & am presuming it was her large egg & probably Bill jumping on her that caused the problem. I'll just keep checking on her. >fi<
Blasted rat dug a hole in the run again yesterday, so I've filled it with stones & poured peppermint oil into it.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Ratty has not tried digging again but he does sneak in to steal food, I know this because they always use the same route & leave a flatterned trail where they've been, I've become expert at spotting it now! grrr!
Giblet is finally off her nest after her long broody spell )c( time to fatten her back up. This has been rather tricky as the sparrows have discovered her food bowl & I often find it empty! So I bought a cheapy strip curtain from wilkies hoping that will keep them out. Unfortunately the wind has picked up & although Giblet cant see it flapping around it made alot of noise - which sent her running back into her coop! Plan b, I've tied it up a bit, less flapping but hopefully still offputting to the birdies.
Misspiggy is still broody, it's been about 6 weeks now, she seemed to be loosing interest but then started again. Maybe because she's afraid of the new girls, she is definately bottom hen poor Missp. Bonny seems to have made herself top hen & finds an opportunity to beat up Poppy every day. Poppy needs to learn to keep on her blind side! Poppy is such a funny, greedy hen. She runs by my feet all the time hoping for treats, so close that I'm afraid I have accidently kicked her a couple of times, which resulted in big apology cuddles - which she seems to like! she is a toe pecker too so no flip flops with her around! She spots when someone goes to the back door & leaps in behind us before we can close it, I hope she doesnt get squashed in the door one day!
--Immanuel Kant