Cat with kittens

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Cat with kittens

Post by Bluefinch »

My cat gave birth to seven kittens 10 days ago. They are all doing really well and obviously getting enough milk. Poppy is have several meals a day - giving her kitten food. Just wondering what else I could give her while she is feeding them to help build her up?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Cat with kittens

Post by kitla »

I'm afraid I dont know anything about caring for cats, but I would love to see them please!
)piicy(
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi, fresh meat would be good for the protein etc and fish if she will eat it. She will need plenty of water too.
Why are you feeding her on kitten food, sorry if I have got that wrong.....
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Hi Gwen. I was advised to feed her kitten food as there is more protein in that than the ordinary cat food. She has been having fish - she loved that.
manda

Post by manda »

Ours had kitten food and then I used to leave dried food for her as well so she could snack on that as she needed.

Great aren't they (we kept all of ours even when she had a second litter because I was told we'd fix her when she had weaned them and didn't wean them till they were 14 weeks old by which time she was pregnant again !! {rofwl} ) Still have her and 4 of the girls left
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I really can't keep 7 kittens Manda! Will have to find homes for them but it will be hard.

I am trying to post a photo of them but having problems. Not keen on Photobucket and not sure what else to use.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Photo for Kitla. As most of them are black not very easy to take a photo and Poppy moved them all the other night from their comfortable bed to the next wardrobe!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh what a wonderful bundle of cuteness!!! {hug}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Why oh why don't pet (dogs and cats especially) owners get their animals neutered. This is why there are so many unwanted kittens and puppies around. So many owners have this stupid notion that it is better to let your pet have one litter before neutering......ridiculous and so untrue. Sorry if this offends but it is fact.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well. that is your opinion.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Mo wrote:Well. that is your opinion.
Sadly not just my opinion but that of the various animal rescue groups as well.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If all caring owners took that view the only kittens / puppies would have neglected mothers.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Grannyof4 wrote:
Mo wrote:Well. that is your opinion.
Sadly not just my opinion but that of the various animal rescue groups as well.

Granny that is my opinion as well. It is totally irresponsible to to let a female cat roam free when it is not neutered. It's obvious what is going to happen. Also irresponsible to let a male cat roam free when it hasn't been neutered. That one cat will be responsible for hundreds of offspring in a short space of time. I can't understand for the life of me why people don't get their pets neutered. Cat's don't need to have just one litter, they also can become impregnated while they are still kittens themselves.

Cat rescues are full to the rafters, and I suspect it is the same with dogs as well. I help two friends run a cat rescue in our village. We get swamped with calls asking us to take cats in, usually because they didn't understand the responsibilities of getting a kitten. All sorts of selfish reasons why they can't look after the animal for the whole of it's life, and they want to palm it off on someone else.

Ilona
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I am sorry if my post upsets some people but I am not irresponsible. My cat will be neutered after this litter. My previous cats have had one litter and I have always found responsible homes for the kittens. It took me months to find a kitten when I wanted another one and I already have several homes for these kittens. Everyone to their own. I am not an irresponsible pet owner.
manda

Post by manda »

Bluefinch wrote:I really can't keep 7 kittens Manda! Will have to find homes for them but it will be hard.

I am trying to post a photo of them but having problems. Not keen on Photobucket and not sure what else to use.

At one point I had 10 cats ...but we're on a farm so they are great for keeping the mice down...as I said numbers are low now but we still have 6 cats.

Grannyof4 wrote:Why oh why don't pet (dogs and cats especially) owners get their animals neutered. This is why there are so many unwanted kittens and puppies around. So many owners have this stupid notion that it is better to let your pet have one litter before neutering......ridiculous and so untrue. Sorry if this offends but it is fact.

Not offended at all Granny ....In our case Frankie (who was initially called Frank as we didn't realise she was indeed a she) had been living in farms around us and then turned up in our barn....when I couldn't find anyone to say she was theirs we thought that maybe she had been dumped so decided to keep feeding her.....she moved into the house. After a couple of months Frank started to get very obviously bigger and became Frankie. She then gave birth in the spare bedroom.
A friend of mine who helps with a cat rescue in the city offered to neuter her as we had rescued her...as I explained above she didn't wean them soon and so had a second litter ...we kept them all and neutered them all....Just so we're clear.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny