Cat with kittens

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Cat with kittens

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , well that kicked off well.
My view is that in the towns there are so many cats feral around it is standard practice to stop the breeding. Now a responsible person raises cats and find good homes and watches they are well from a distance like a godparent is doing little harm . I go for unwanted cats , strays from stables as free and need caring for. Would not go for a home reared cat as too many other options around . Must be different in other parts of the country for sure.
So I see both views , either way the kittens look lovely and sure they will be homed and loved.
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Well put Bob. Sorry I ever started this now!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

The mother and kittens are absolutely gorgeous. I am sure you will find loving homes for them all. I would have a house full of cats if I could, I love them. We have got three and our latest one is a rescue cat that my husband brought home from work off the streets. I was so worried about introducing him to our 2 cats, but 5 months on we are all fine and so we have our happy ending thank goodness. We fed a stray cat for about 6 months, he was old and very neglected, but he wasn't neutered and would not stay. We contacted the Cats Protection who informed us that they would neuter him and return him to our garden (the area where he knew). Unfortunately, he just disappeared and I was wracked with guilt that we didn't do enough sooner. We had just taken in Oscar (our street cat) and as they have to be house cats because of the main road, our house is full. I totally agree with neutering and have always had my cats and dogs done. Good luck with your kittens. P.S. Mother cat is beautiful.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi as another point that is raised .
I again do not see any harm done in raising an issue to debate it , If you do and a different point is seen , surely it is good to be able to disagree at the end with no harm being done. As long as it is not hurtful or plain nasty .
Many points of view can be helpful .
Bottom line is bring on the debates . I am sure that I will be put in my place many times in the future but having a large rear end it is a fairly easy target to hit .If it does us some good ok . Do not have to write it just think it , or do a trump and just make it up as you go along .....
That is another opening for another thread....
Bob
Trump that .
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I think there are people who unnecessarily breed puppies and kittens oblivious to what the mother can catch. HIV in cats is common so at least know the tom and that he has a clean bill of health. don't just let the female out and see who she meets on the "tiles" that night. I rescued cats for the best part of 40yrs and would not like to count up but at one time I had 15 plus kittens from the last pregnant one (Suzie) I took in. In fact I lost my little cat a few weeks ago and she was the last remaining kitten of Suzie.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I totally agree with you - there are enough poor cats and dogs in this world without loving homes. Well done for rescuing the cats and caring for them (wish there were more people in the world like you).
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Do not be surprised there are .
I have had cats die from feline aids and it is not pleasant .
The number of cats breed by caring owners are very few and will not make a difference to the feral population. Breeders that do it for money in bad conditions are the ones to point the fingers at.
Yet again pure breeds would disappear if not breed . So as long as we do the best for unfortunate ones that is all we can do.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

In this day and age kittens can fetch a lot of £'s and I don't mean fancy breeds. When my daughter was looking for a kitten 2 years ago, anything other than black or black and white were fetching what I would consider silly money. £80 for a ginger and white kitten. It is a fact that black and black and white kittens don't get homed as easily as other colours.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , made me happy , I have 2 black and white cats and a female tabby ,very pretty girl. Street friendly.
They get food and treats and stroked by the postman as well.
Bob
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very interesting thread, my son has two rescue cats whose Mother had Feline HIV.
They have to remain indoors, got them as Kittens and now about three years old - perfectly happy.

I agree about the black / black and white cats, extremely hard to find homes for, people like 'colour character' pedigree or otherwise.
I had Big Ron of course :-D )

First wife Helen has a house in Turkey. There's a couple of English ladies in their senior years who feed over 30 stray feral cats everyday and that's in a very small Village.
When my daughter was there, she'd have 15 around the house ! She'd take as much food as she could every visit.

At the Colosseum in Rome there are loads of ferals, people take Pasta in to feed them every day.

So over population can be a problem, bit the same as a Puppy which isn't just for Christmas.

So valid points on all sides. Certainly every stray or feral cat should, upon rescuing be neutered.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome