Laurel cuttings

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Laurel cuttings

Post by chookmike »

Hello everyone

I have a lovely laurel which is getting too big, however I would like more of them in other parts of the garden. Obvious question; can I take cuttings and save a few bob at the garden centre? The more precise your reply the better please as I am inexperienced in cuttings/propagation.

Thank you - hope everyone is well. I haven't been here for a good while but keep an eye on you all!

Mike
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Laurel cuttings

Post by Spreckly »

Have you had a look on the internet Mike? There may be some tips on there, or youtube.
Sorry I can't answer your question. We too have a laurel hedge which we planted several years ago, our neighbour dug her young plants up, and we searched round our garden for other bits and pieces.

All the best with you endeavours
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello Mike

I asked OH about our laurel hedge, and he said he did take cuttings with a spur on the end, but they took a long time to grow large enough to plant.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have two laurels in my front garden, the first one bought from a garden centre, the second one a cutting from the first. It has taken years to get to a reasonable size. Mind you, they are both too large for the front garden so I have to trim them often. I hate cutting them down because the new growth is a lovely fresh shade of green, but it has to be done. They need lots of room.

Ilona
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thank you! I did look on the internet and found a site with instructions so some cuttings are hiding from the weather right now. A friend then cleared some of his plants out and gave me some at 3 feet high so problem solved.

Thanks for your advice though.

Mike