Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by sandy »

Hilly I am so sorry you have lost another beloved girl Marge. I know exactly what you mean about losing proper characters, quite a few of my girls are always remembered for doing certain things that others have never done and in time it just makes you smile when I know none of my girls would follow me about in the open garden, never stay too far away and never come when called like my first girl Alice. I have lost ex batties at 8 months but as you are totally aware of how ever long they have with us is such a bonus for them. I did a rescue a few weeks ago and trust me just watching the girls in the stable before their new owners came was heartwarming, after the initial confusion they start to explore their surroundings realising they can walk a very long way with no bars. I know it hurts us mummies so badly , the darn eyp is always lurking within battery girls but as hard as it is to lose love them and lose them we have given them a proper henny life, for how ever long that may be. {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thanks Sandy - we do deep down know that they wouldn't have had this life, but as you say, it hurts so much when we have to say goodbye.

Marge had the tiniest, worried little voice and Im certain that I still hear her on occasion.

We've decided to take on some more rescues - the garden is too quiet with the 4 remaining.

All being well - Im going to reserve 4 when Im on my lunch break today. Im going to call BHWT this time and the Fresh Start for hens website has been down for what seems like ever. :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad you are going to rehome some batties, it goes without saying the girls you rehome will be glad too, especially when they rock yo to your pad )like( You know my Gwen growled like a teddy and I miss that sound so so much.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I still hear some of my lost girls around the garden, they are always there in the corner of my eye, playing somewhere. Little tinkers! It's nice that they are still around, if only in my mind.

Fresh start for hens website seems to be broken these days, I have noticed lots of facebook posts from them though about rehoming and they have one coming up in July so maybe check them out on facebook instead. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

So, our third batch of batties will be ready to collect on 9 July :-D

We are having 4 from BHWT, so will boost our gals to 8.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Hilly, so glad you are getting 4 more ex batties. I know the feeling of "can't go through this again" when we lose them, but if kind people, like yourself, didn't give homes to these ladies they would never have the opportunity of living free and happy in lovely homes. Exciting times ahead for you - will look forward to the photo's.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

)app( excellent news Hilly, they are so lucky and will be so happy
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Whilst gardening last night - slowly, on my knees and with a hand fork - so "helping" chickens are not accidently hurt - noticed that there were only 3 "helping". Found Queenie hunkered under a bush. Previous to that, she had been running, scratching and jumping up for treats.

When I called her out, she came and there was white stuff hanging out of her bum and down her feathers. She wouldn't let me get "up close and personal" so I shut them all back in the run whilst I showered and made lunch for today.

When finished, I went back down the garden and she had taken herself off into the nest box in the dark. I decided to leave her for abit, but was too upset thinking I cant cope with any more just now, I put them back away and went indoors.

They like to rummage just before they go to bed, so I went back to let them out and Queen was, up and around, absolutely fine - but I noticed some yolk on her face. Looks like she had laid a softie and then ate it. Everything fine this morning. Honestly, chicken keeping is a roller coaster of emotions!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Your right there Hilly - Chicken Keeping is a roller coaster of emotions (a good way to put it). I have had chickens before that are fine one minute and then go into that hunched up "I'm not well" look but as soon as they get the softie out they are fine and back to normal.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

So I decided to buy a Feathers and Beaky treat dispenser and a grit and corn block to hang from the roof.

Are they in the slightest bit interested? No!

They've had swings, boxes, treat dispensers, a felled tree stump - nada, no interest in anything.

I was off last week and doing some hand gardening - the spoilt madams weren't even scratching for worms - they were waiting for each turn of the folk and diving in then!

I put a bale of straw in this morning, so they had something to do - along with an old water bottle filled with scratch mix and a ready made fruit salad.

Ive also had directions to the re-homing for a week on Sunday - all Ive got to do, is fill BonnieMarge's old run with straw and grind some pellets into powder - and we are ready and waiting :-D
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Exciting times. Good luck.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

We have got them. They are in a terrible state.

I has no feathers on her back, bottom or underside - massive floppy white comb and white face.

Another has quills just sticking out of her body - no feathers.

The most aggressive one, one of her wings seems to be hanging down and dragging on the floor. She wont let anyone else eat, so Ive put another bowl in this morning.

All their claws are horrendously overgrown. All white faces and combs. They look flea-bitten!

They are petrified of everything.

I don't remember any of the others being this way - or I may have forgotten!

When they went to bed last night, I tried to gently stoke a couple - but got a peck!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Poor girls - but they are lucky now they have a lovely home and I'm sure it will not be long before they settle down and start to look and feel a lot better. It's lovely that you are giving them a chance of a good life.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

HilierWard wrote:We have got them. They are in a terrible state.

I has no feathers on her back, bottom or underside - massive floppy white comb and white face.

Another has quills just sticking out of her body - no feathers.

The most aggressive one, one of her wings seems to be hanging down and dragging on the floor. She wont let anyone else eat, so Ive put another bowl in this morning.

All their claws are horrendously overgrown. All white faces and combs. They look flea-bitten!

They are petrified of everything.

I don't remember any of the others being this way - or I may have forgotten!

When they went to bed last night, I tried to gently stoke a couple - but got a peck!

It's wonderful you have rescued them. I feel so angry and depressed knowing that this is the accepted state of battery chickens. Not by us obviously. Humanity is a disgrace sometimes {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hilly were they rehomed from bhwt? Cannot understand why their claws were not clipped on the day of rescue? Dont worry, Gwennie and Georgina were in an awlful state when I rehomed them, Gwennie could barely walk, you just know they are going to thrive with you >fi<