Frog spawn thread

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Frog spawn thread

Post by Mo »

have you got a pond?
I've read that if you move spawn from 1 pond to another you might be spreading some disease, not sure if that's a problem where you are.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

No pond I am afraid and the spawn is in rain puddles that are beginning to dry out.

I used to raise newts from eggs supplied by a conservationist which enabled me to get a newt colony going and surviving in my pond when I was in England many years ago, so..... just for a challenge if their location continues to dry out I will collect some and see how we go.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

we were up at a New Forest campsite last weekend and there were hundreds of little froglets around the edges of the pond.
Bah Humbug
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

If you do collect some and grow it up .....
taddies in the pond used to love the fish food, though there is also a lot of natural food in there too.

Chickens love frog taddies, NoM! my girls cleared a pond, and ate most of the adults too
:(

Had toadpoles only this year, no idea if any survived the ladies from Hell, I certainly didn't spot any growing up after they hatched.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

HedgeHugger wrote:Chickens love frog taddies, NoM! my girls cleared a pond, and ate most of the adults too

We had a right shock last year when we first started keeping chickens...we saw
one had caught a frog in the garden and was quite happily eating it! So much for chickens being cute feathery and loveable! Illusions shattered!! We had so much to learn!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

We've had to rescue goldfish from the chickens.

It's what they do to the frog to make them fit that makes me cringe. yike* Can't watch, leave them to it. Pretend I didn't see...!