Scam

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Scam

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not sure this is the right place, so please remove if Mods don't think it is acceptable on this forum.
My daughter had an RTA and everything went through insurance companies and she was not at fault. Her car is being repaired, but she got a call on her mobile, couldn't make out who/what it was except it was to do with the RTA, so she told them to call our land line number and speak to me as I had her permission to deal with this in the beginning.
Yesterday evening someone called on the land line and to cut a long story short spoke to me without checking any form of Data Protection, i.e. who I was, date of birth etc. They had the date of the accident wrong, but told me that both my daughter and I could claim between 2 - 3k each because the third party had made a claim for aches/pains and also because the cost of repairs was in excess of £200 and we were wearing seat belts, apparently it was a 'minor category C' payment. They said they had got the info from the third parties insurance company.
I explained that we had no injuries and asked if they wanted us to lie. They didn't want us to lie, but still said we could claim the above amounts. At this point I said that if something sounded too good to be true then it most probably was and what he was saying sounded to good to be true.
The call ended with them 'supposedly' going to contact my daughters insurance company. Yea, right O!
I have contacted the insurance company and they know nothing about this.
I have today rung the ICO Information Commissioners Office and they have taken details, but looking on line there have been lots of instances that are very similar to the one I had with them.
Just wondered if anyone else had had this happen and was it similar, because if so the lady at ICO said they keep information like I gave and build up a case.
I haven't put a telephone number up that they called me from, but can if allowed put it on here or give by PM and also state where the area code was from and also names of the people I spoke to.
p.penn

Re: Scam

Post by p.penn »

Hi Gwenoakes. Yes it does definitely sound like a scam, so horrible. I think probably best you don't actually post the telephone number on forum, but of course if anyone wishes to pm you, that's up to you!

I don't quite know what you can do if you have given them info, except keep a strict eye on stuff.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

If you put the phone number they called from into google search it should bring up one of the sites where people look up and report scam calls. I've found the information quite useful in the past to find out where the call has actually come from & have even reported a couple myself.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks guys.
I have done that Kitla, but the thing that really got me is they are totally ignoring the Data Protection Act and tbh that really got my goat more than anything else.
These laws are brought into force only to find, bleep people like this can skirt round them with what looks like no consequences, unless of course the ICO can make a case against them, but then that relies on people reporting it to them.......
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sounds a bit like what happened to me when my Focus was written off, but not quite. My insurance company appointed an independent company to deal with the claim. After the initial contact of reporting the incident to my insurers, the case was handed over to AH, and all further communication was between me and them.

AH kept in touch with me by letter, always best to get everything in writing. You are right to be suspicious of phone calls.

I was given a hire car for the time between losing my car, and the pay off, which was the amount I calculated to be correct. AH tried to push me into claiming for injuries, maybe their opportunity to squeeze a bit more from the other party. I had already told them I had no injuries because I wasn't in the car at the time, it was parked.

Mine was a cut and dry case, witnesses and my photographic evidence, but I imagine there are many scammers out there, you have to be suspicious of everyone these days.

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I get phone calls like this almost weekly.
I was involved in an accident in Portsmouth about three years ago. In fact, on that day I was 140 miles away having my eyes tested in Ashford !!
Someone obviously using my registration code.

However, I get so fed up with them phoning me saying I could claim for this that and the otherI now sound interested and let them go through the whole thing, then say waht about my injury.
They ask what injury.
I then say I had a hurty finger and had to put an elastoplast on - then put the phone down :-D :-D

Richard

PS. I also get calls from talk talk saying they have detected virus's getting through my talktalk router No xx1234xxxxxx or whatever..
I string along saying 'how awlful' etc.
Then they come to the old 'go to website and open an account and all will be sorted'
I say OK, make the sounds of the keyboard.
Repeatably ask them to repeat the address as if I'm a bit thick.
Then after an appropriate time say "Oh, by the way, I haven't been with talktalk for 4 years'
They hang up :-D :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

I got a phone call about 'the' accident on the day she was sentenced.
Most upsetting and I told them so !
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Incredible.
Everything's about money, money money.

Richard {hug} {hug} {hug}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome