I think my hen is sick

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
new_chicken_mum
Learner Laner

Re: I think my hen is sick

Post by new_chicken_mum »

Ok guys after cleaning out the coop today I took some time to look over the girl, She actually fussed at me today so thats a good sign lol.
She does seem a little skinny compared to the others.
Her poo is normal colour just a little more sloppy.
There is nothing at all in her vent.
Her face and nose and mouth seem clear.
Her feet issue seems to be more thicking rather than scaly feet.
She spent most of the day out with the flock today, It was quite a cold day so i actually took her in out of the cold after a while so she could be warm.
After reading your comments regarding their comb helping tell how old they are I seem to have two older hens as they have full red combs and the rest at quite small and paler in colour....So thank you for that :)
We are off to the vet tomorrow so will see what they say about my poorly lady.
Thank you all so much for your input and warm welcome :)

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Good luck at the vets with your girl.
Amber.
new_chicken_mum
Learner Laner

Ok for those following along after trip to vet today, He could not find anything definitively wrong with her.
He suggested to just keep doing what i am doing and see if she comes good.
She was not dehydrated altho a little underweight....He has given me some wet mix to feed her over the next few days and see if she perks up a bit.
So I just continue doing the same things and cross fingers she will come good.
Thanks again for you advise guys I really appreciate it.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Fingers crossed she will be fine. If it was anything serious I am sure the vet would have known and chickens do go down hill fairly quickly, so I am sure she is doing OK.
new_chicken_mum
Learner Laner

My poor girl took a turn for the worst today, Very little movement and I had to syringe feed her water otherwise she would not drink at all.
I have her warm inside by the fire in her own crate but i don't hold out much hope that she will make it through the night.
Praying she makes it
Feeling sad :(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I know what you are going through , have you weighed her at any time . It is a good indicator of being sick when they lose weight .
Sweet corn is easy to get down the throat . If friendly with vet get some Tylan .
Bob
new_chicken_mum
Learner Laner

I have only had them a week, haven't thought to weigh her at all....Would'nt know what to use.
All other hens in flock seem fine,
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear she has taken a turn for the worse. Sounds like you are looking after her very well and keeping her comfortable. These chickens can be baffling at times and it is so difficult to know what is really going on with them.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

to be honest if she's been poorly for as long as she has & the vet couldnt find anything obvious, I would guess there's something wrong inside her. You really have done your best & given her a good chance. It would be great if she perks back up, but probably not very likely. Being prey animals they are experts at hiding their illness & pretending to eat and mingle with the others whilst deteriorating inside. fingers crossed for you >fi< and one of these because we get so attached to the special chooks that need extra care {hug}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
new_chicken_mum
Learner Laner

Thanks guys!

Well my feathered angel passed over the rainbow bridge.....

Lots of cuddles from me last night, willing her to pull through but she just wasn't strong enough.

She is now at rest and I will burry her in the garden so my daughter can get her closure.

Thank you all again for your support, it means a lot.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , It is an unfortunate result in all your efforts . Sometimes you have a happy ending , this time you lost a girl . Nothing anybody can do about these things . It hardens you but still does not make it easier .
I am in the same situation with my Cuddles and today , should she still be alive tonight when I get home I will be taking her to be PTS . Break my heart but she is getting to the point of no return (if not there already ) and any more that I do will be for my benefit only really.
Fond memories to be kept and right to bury girl for daughter . ( learning ) most people do it with hamsters and fish.
Hope the rest give you and live good lives.
Bob
Keep in touch on your habit please as always good to read peoples experiences .
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry that you have lost your girl. At least she is not suffering any more and you did your very best. I know it doesn't make it any easier and it still hurts but this, unfortunately, is part of chicken keeping. Enjoy the rest of your flock and let us know your adventures.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry to hear she's gone {hug}

They can be fragile creatures and don't always take change well. Possibly she had something going on internally, but at least you can comfort yourself that you gave her a safe and warm environment and tried to get her some help via the vets. You did everything that you could, sadly sometimes it's just not enough.

It's unfortunate that you have experienced the down side of chicken keeping so soon, but at least you know what to expect now, as does your daughter - and enjoy the up side, because they are delightful pets. Do keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper