Poorly pigeon found in stable

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Poorly pigeon found in stable

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have just found a pigeon in the stables on the floor. It was very easy to catch, so obviously not well at all.
It is very thin and we can find no obvious sign that something is wrong. It is now in the cat basket covered with a towel with some wild bird food and some water in a dish, where it will stay till morning, which will give it a chance to recover, hopefully.
Any advice from someone with knowledge of pigeons would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Poorly pigeon found in stable

Post by Mo »

Is it a tame racing pigeon with a ring?
If so it is lost and doesn't know how to fend for itself. So might just be hungry. I heard that the owners have to collect them if you contact them via the info on the ring but they won't keep them if they have got lost once. Homing pigeons that lose their way don't win races.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi Mo, no ring so not a racing pigeon. From our past experience finding pigeons with rings when ringing the owner they don't want to know.
It is still alive and seems a bit perkier this a.m. and has eaten. Have now given it some meal worms.
Will have a better look at it later on and then hopefully it recovers and we can let it out to carry on with its life.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Often the meds we give the chickens are actually for pigeons, so I suppose you could treat it the same as a little bantam. I noticed a pigeon in my garden this morning was very keen on some spilt sunflower hearts.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi, Kitla, I don't have chickens now, so no meds unfortunately.
He/she seems to have perked up quite a bit actually hanging on to Clare's finger when she lifted it out the basket, so we have decided to have a go at letting it go this p.m. after one final check over the body, just in case we have missed something.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Pigeon been set free and looks pretty OK now. OH says it is a young one. Will be putting food out onto a flat roof for it, just to help keep it topped up.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just an update. The pigeon stayed around for about 7 days and we fed and watered it and then it disappeared, so hopefully it will be fine.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A nice story.

It's strange how there are some things which we see, on the main, as being a bloomin nuisance ie. Pigeons, Mice etc.
But if we find one injured, it's our instinct to help.

There are countless pigeons in the Old Mill next to me; they go on the bird tables, poo on my van from the girders above in the barn and so on.
Every now and again one falls down the chimney. I always rescue them and let them free !

Well done Gwen.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome