Clipped beaks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Karen1957
Learner Laner

Clipped beaks

Post by Karen1957 »

Do all battery hens have their beaks clipped? Do beaks grow like nails grow?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Clipped beaks

Post by Mo »

I don't think they grow back. And if they are badly trimmed they can cause problems.

Horrible system!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I had an ex batt with a badly clipped beak, the top part being alot shorter than the bottom part, she was unable to peck corn & things off hard ground but otherwise is didnt trouble her. I think you'll find they're all clipped now.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , the beaks do grow back ,takes a long time . Cuddles (may she rest in peace) beak was clipped , grow back twisted had it clipped side myself and when thick by the vets.
Make sure the food is in a deep pot as they can not pick food up easily . Lots deep and they can grab a beak full better . Same as water need to have it deep enough to get the beak right in.
Bats only live till 4-5 max and time the beaks grow back they do not get much use of it .
They survive well though .
Best luck
Bob
Karen1957
Learner Laner

Post by Karen1957 »

I'll see how they are when we collect them next Saturday, hopefully they won't be too bad and I'll make sure they have a deep feeder so they can scoop up their food. Thanks